Talk

Advanced search

Part time after maternity leave?

(5 Posts)
Rose138 Mon 09-Feb-15 05:59:32

Hello all,

I started my maternity leave end of October. I'm a primary school teacher. I'm due back middle of July. I am loving time with my son so much that I do sit there every now and again and think how am I going to go back full time? I love my job but we have to be in at 8.00 and cannot leave until 4.30 even though the children leave at 3.25. Then there is the planning and marking each night and at the weekend. Fine when I didn't have my little man but if I am to go back and do this, I'll never see him! So my husband and I have discussed this and we can cope financially with me working part time.

My query to you all is when should I go and tell the head teacher? I am thinking as soon as possible? She is notorious for not giving people part time- with the exception of one lady who returned from maternity leave in September last year. So if she says no to me should I say I'm confused as a colleague has had part time this year- or will that come across rude?

If I don't get part time I'll have to look elsewhere for part time but I'm not sure on the rules of my maternity pay- would I have to pay some back if I don't return to my original school?

Thank you all in advance! Xxx

confusedandemployed Mon 09-Feb-15 06:20:43

If you have been employed for 26 weeks or more you have a legal right to request past time working. Your head must consider your request and if she refuses she must give a genuine business request for doing so. There are 7 or 8stated possible business reasons.
You should be awaelre that requests are considered on a case by case basis -, just because she agreed to someone's request last year it doesn't mean she must agree your request. This is because the circumstances are not the same: the very fact she already has one part timer could mean that any more part timers would be unfeasible due to staffing or logistical issues. So she would be perfectly justified in saying no.
I would make your request asap. Google 'flexible working requests' - you need to use wording which makes it clear that it is a request under your statutory rights and you should read up on the legitimate business reasons for refusal. This will enable you to try and anticipate possible problems and offer solutions for them in your request.

FishWithABicycle Mon 09-Feb-15 06:24:16

Could you talk to this other part-time person in confidence and ask their advice? Are your roles and skills similar enough that a jobshare between the two of you would work?

Rose138 Mon 09-Feb-15 07:58:11

Thank you so much.

I've googled those areas and now feel clearer about the process, thank you. It does however say about putting the request in writing but I feel that it may come across badly if I just send in the letter. I know that it the correct step to take but I think I will take in the letter and speak to the head teacher about it's content rather than just sending it in. I have been at the school for 3 years so I want to handle this in the correct way.

Fingers crossed! Xxx

flowery Mon 09-Feb-15 08:23:44

I agree with you that just sending the letter could come across badly. You do need to put it in writing to benefit from the legislation but do talk to your HT as well.

As has been said, the fact that another request was granted doesn't automatically mean every future request must also be granted. So don't say you're "confused" by a refusal. However a previous request can be helpful in terms of specifics. If the HT is concerned about your request for x, y, z reason, and you can demonstrate that in your colleague's case, that isn't a problem, or is being handled successfully in x way, that may help you. Anticipate the possible sticking points and address them in your request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: