Talk

Advanced search

Query regarding pregnancy and employment

(5 Posts)
PenguinTuxedo Wed 04-Feb-15 19:41:53

Hi all - hope I've posted in the right place!!

I was on maternityaction.org and found this information:

If I take sick leave or reduce my hours during my pregnancy will it affect my Statutory Maternity Pay?

Yes, if you receive Statutory Sick Pay or you reduce your hours during approximately weeks 18 to 26 of your pregnancy, your Statutory Maternity Pay may be affected.

In order to qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay you need to earn at least £111 per week on average (April 2014-April 2015) in the two months (if you are paid monthly) or eight weeks (if you are paid weekly) before the end of the 15th week before your baby is due. If your maternity pay is at risk you may wish to use annual leave during these weeks.

I first took this to mean that if I am sick between 18-26 weeks of my pregnancy, I wouldn't get SMP (as my earnings would def fall under £111 per week from even one day off).

However, when I am sick I don't actually claim SSP, my employer just pays it, on my pay slip the money comes out and goes back in again under 'osp' - so the amount I actually get paid at the end of the month doesn't change, if that makes sense?

So my question is - would this rule effect me, or not as it wouldn't actually be SSP I would be claiming.

Thanks smile

dementedpixie Wed 04-Feb-15 19:46:01

sounds like you get Occupational Sick Pay from your employer (rather than having to claim for SSP) so no I don't think your maternity pay would be affected as your employer pays you their own sick pay so your wages stay the same.

Purplecircle Wed 04-Feb-15 19:49:49

If you get your normal wage for being off sick then no it won't affect your SMP.
Your average earnings are taken over that 8 week period to determine if you qualify for SMP and your higher rate SMP for the first 6 weeks will be 90% of that average pay

There is an SMP calculator on direct.gov website

PenguinTuxedo Wed 04-Feb-15 19:57:21

Ok, I will look at that calculator now. Thanks both smile

flowery Wed 04-Feb-15 19:59:48

You need to check your contract or handbook to find out how much sick pay you get. It sounds like you get at least some sickness absence at full pay, which is great and therefore won't affect your SMP, but if you get (say) 2 weeks at full pay and are off sick during the crucial period for longer than that, your SMP will be affected.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: