Talk

Advanced search

What do I tell a potential employer if pregnant

(21 Posts)
Galderine Mon 02-Feb-15 19:55:23

I am starting IVF treatment this week, days after leaving my last job.
While both were planned, leaving work was supposed to happen after having found another role. Things happen for a reason and I feel much happier as situation at work was the worst of my life.

Now, while confident I will find a new role reasonably soon, I am already rehearsing possible conversations once presented with an offer; I want to remain positive and as stress-free as possible; indeed, I am single and will be a single mum providing all works out. So I am the only provider for my household.

Once an offer received, I am considering telling my future employer if pregnant (by a few days/weeks only if lucky) or currently trying, so I feel ethical and professional, but also so I can negotiate to benefit from their maternity policy...

I am eager to hear from any of you: what have you told? what were the consequences? what would you (not) recommend?

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

mrsnoon Mon 02-Feb-15 20:00:00

I wouldn't say anything to be honest.

Koalafications Mon 02-Feb-15 20:01:50

I think you would be foolish to tell your future employer that you are pregnant before you have even started.

Keep it to yourself, really.

Negotiate to benefit from their maternity policy? You would be entitled to maternity pay assuming you start early enough on in your pregnancy. But if you think that most employers will still be thrilled to employ you and will negotiate giving you maternity pay if they don't have too, well you would be quite naive.

Trinpy Mon 02-Feb-15 20:06:56

Don't say anything.

I went for a job interview when I was 5 weeks pregnant. Chose not to say anything. A few days later I miscarried. Happily accepted the job the following week and then found out I was 6 weeks pregnant on my first day.

thatstoast Mon 02-Feb-15 20:07:27

I wouldn't say anything. In fact, when this happened to me, I didn't say anything. I told them when I started the job.

I think you have to accept that you won't qualify for SMP or enhanced maternity. Look into Maternity Allowance.

tippytappywriter Mon 02-Feb-15 20:18:29

What is their maternity policy? What do you think you may be able to negotiate? Don't they have a policy that applies equally to all?
I wouldn't say anything. Sign on the dotted line and then leave it a few weeks. In an ideal work they would hire you knowing you're trying or pregnant but in the real world...

GingerCuddleMonster Mon 02-Feb-15 20:18:53

Don't say anything, I didn't with DS. I was about 7weeks gone and passed my 12week scan off as a dental appointment. I told them when I was 16weeks.

Look in to MA and budget for it.

tippytappywriter Mon 02-Feb-15 20:21:15

Oh and meant to say that I haven't told employers I've been with (long term mind) until after the 20 week scan.

trinitybleu Mon 02-Feb-15 20:22:49

Depends on the company. I employed a 3 months pregnant lady 18 months ago and we offered to pay her full maternity leave. She was the right person for the job, returned part time within a few months and is loyal in the extreme as she was grateful for the maternity pay.

It can work well!

Spindelina Tue 03-Feb-15 10:24:48

I waited until I had signed the contract, then rang and told them. But I wasn't due to start the job until I was 25 weeks.

Galderine Tue 03-Feb-15 12:37:14

Wow Spindelina, well done! What was their reaction? How did they treat you?

Galderine Tue 03-Feb-15 12:38:45

A friend of mine learnt about her pregnancy while interviewing; She informed the company, not only they hired her, they increased her salary... this was the rational behind my question, and while indeed as mentioned by some above, this can appear naive, it is people like her company or you which still make me wonder and open trust a little. Thank you for sharing.

Galderine Tue 03-Feb-15 12:39:29

Previous message aimed at trinity bleu:-)

Galderine Tue 03-Feb-15 12:39:58

Thank you everyone for your insights, much appreciated.

Heels99 Tue 03-Feb-15 12:44:31

My Ivf treatment took 4 cycles over 5 years to work. I wouldn't bother mentioning it at interview of job offer stage. Good luck with your treatment.

Spindelina Tue 03-Feb-15 13:06:00

Wow Spindelina, well done! What was their reaction? How did they treat you?

It was a long recruitment process. I wasn't pregnant when I applied, 11 weeks at interview. They offered me the job, I asked for 0.8 FTE, they said yes (wasn't a deal breaker - I'd have done full time if they'd said no, which is why I left it until after they'd offered).

It's a very male-dominated academic department, so I think they didn't really know what to do with a woman, let alone a pregnant one! It's been fine, but I'm employed to do my own thing on my own timescale, which is pretty unusual. They took the money they saved from my mat leave plus the money they saved from me being 0.8 and employed someone else for a bit.

Chunderella Wed 04-Feb-15 12:02:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

trinitybleu Thu 05-Feb-15 08:24:07

Organisations need to look at the bigger picture. If the pregnant lady is the right personn for the job and you pay her maternity leave, she'll most likely be super engaged and committed both before and after. Yes, you loose her for x months, but you'll retain her for x+ years

Mum2be20 Thu 05-Feb-15 14:28:07

I have an interview soon and im 15 weeks already. Do i have to tell them at the interview? Im worried it will reduce my chance of being successful x

Chunderella Thu 05-Feb-15 14:32:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StrawberryCheese Thu 05-Feb-15 14:44:03

I'm nearly 7 weeks pregnant and currently applying for jobs. I'm not planning on saying anything in an interview (if I get one!) because if I didn't get the job I would always wonder whether it was because of my pregnancy or not. I will get maternity allowance and add that to my redundancy package from my current employer whenever they finally decide I can leave

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: