Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant at work

(5 Posts)
Fzina15 Tue 27-Jan-15 09:18:53

Hi I am 10 weeks pregnant and having problems at work. I told them 2 weeks ago I was pregnant because I was being made to lift heavy boxes, I am an office coordinator. They still haven't completed a risk assessment and now want me to work 7 day in a row? Does anyone know what I can do about this because I am so tired all the time and this is making me so stressed I am scared I will miscarry. But I also don't want to be sacked for refusing to work 7 days.

confusedandemployed Tue 27-Jan-15 12:39:36

Workers have the right to an uninterrupted 24 hours without work each week. See here: https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/overview

They have to do a risk assessment but you know that already.

If they sack you they would be playing a very dangerous game. You are pregnant, and as such you have certain protections under the Equality Act. You need to stand your ground - your baby is more important than your job.

flowery Tue 27-Jan-15 12:43:24

Have you asked for a risk assessment OP? What did they say? Does your contract say you can be asked to work 7 days straight?

Just for information, workers are entitled to either 24 hours off a week, or 48 hours a fortnight, so working 7 days straight isn't unlawful in itself.

Fzina15 Thu 29-Jan-15 08:15:31

Yes I have asked several times for a risk assessment to be carried out but they don't seem bothered. What legally do they need to do and how long do they have to do it?

Millerpup Fri 30-Jan-15 20:22:38

Your employer is not required to do anything legally until you have notified him in writing that you are pregnant. Simply telling them is not enough.
Only then can you expect a risk assessment to be completed and changes made to your working conditions.
If after you have informed them in writing nothing is done pm me and i will send you a list of hazards that you will need to be aware of and send you some information to give to your employer

If manual handling is bothering you (heavy lifting) you have a right to request to see a manual handling assessment for that taask or request an assessment to be done pregnant or not, the employer has a legal responsibility to conduct one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: