Advanced search

Grasp the next rung of the career ladder

Find jobs that fit your kills and your home life with Mumsnet jobs

See all jobs »

Japanese clients and etiquette?

(3 Posts)
Millionairerow Fri 23-Jan-15 22:47:05

So.....been working for a Japanese client. I developed a great working relationship in the beginning and was invited abroad for face to face meetings with my boss. I submitted a report which they had not approved. My boss said our Japanese clients would have to live with it but the relationship seemed to sour after that even though my manager sanctioned it. Now the Japanese client has invited my boss abroad and they are still deciding if they'll invite me... Depending on the feedback from this report from a regulated body whether ill be invited or not. Does this mean the clients have lost faith in me?

flowery Sat 24-Jan-15 10:17:58

I'm not sure etiquette or the fact the clients are Japanese are relevant here. There's always a risk when working with clients that if they don't like work you do, or opinions you express, it may sour the relationship. Some clients are very open to differing opinions but communicating those in a way that means they are taken on board and the trust in the relationship is maintained can be a difficult balancing exercise. You don't say what the report was about, but if it was something that they may have found difficult to hear, a conversation before they saw it might have been a good idea. I don't think that's anything to do with being Japanese though.

JeanSeberg Sat 24-Jan-15 10:23:29

I also think the nationality isn't relevant here. Looking at it from the client's perspective, their 'supplier' has delivered a service they aren't happy with, therefore they will want to discuss this with the more senior person ie your boss.

How were the findings of the report delivered and presented to them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now