Talk

Advanced search

Leaving job, retraining, working abroad

(8 Posts)
Runawaytosea Mon 19-Jan-15 16:23:55

Name changed as less likely for two plus two to equal four.

I'll start by saying I have no children (but have been recommended here as a really good place for women to be advised) and no mortgage, so no ties that make my proposed life change really difficult.

I'm currently in a reasonably paid job that I do not enjoy. Never meant it to be a career, and I am becoming increasingly disenchanted with work, the general sexism here (less holiday than the men, for eg), other people etc.

I've always wanted to work abroad at some stage in my life, and I have always wanted to teach. Since I was 14 (I'm in my early thirties) I've been an instructor/coach in a variety of different roles/activities, so I do have some experience teaching (though none of the paperwork pressure) and I know I enjoy it.

My current plan is to quit and work abroad (TEFL - I already have the qualification ) for a year or two. If I really enjoy teaching then apply to do a PGCE. If I find I don't enjoy it then I shall have to think again, but at least I'll know.

Is this completely insane? I know it will have implications for having children/relationships, though if it is only a year I'm abroad I don't know if I should factor that in. I'm not tied down by a mortgage, and while I have no intention of spending all my savings I do have about a year's salary in savings so am financially secure (for a bit).

Living Mon 19-Jan-15 19:13:58

Do it. There's nothing stopping you.

EBearhug Mon 19-Jan-15 23:12:12

I took a break when I was 29/30 to go travelling.

When you go back, everyone will think you were on maternity leave anyway, because that's apparently the only reason women would take a break from work, going by all the comments I got. I went back to the same industry (after a bit of unemployment and temping when I first got back,) and it took me a few years to get back up on to my pre-travelling salary, but that was partly down to the way the economy went while I was away.

How come you get less holiday than the men? Surely that is discrimination?

Runawaytosea Tue 20-Jan-15 09:03:03

On paper, we all have the same amount of holiday. However, the men get "extra" days whenever they want (one of them got over ten extra days last year, and I know it isn't unpaid) while the women aren't allowed them - I get interrogated when I take my actual leave!

One of the many reasons I would like to be off anyway, but it also ties in with my "life plan" as it were.

childoftheeighties Tue 20-Jan-15 09:11:47

Go for it! You never know how your life may change and you should take the chance to do this while you can. Do you really want to look back in 20 years time and wish you had taken this leap? Good luck!

Nolim Thu 22-Jan-15 08:23:39

I agree. Take a chance.

fluffapuss Sun 01-Feb-15 21:25:04

Hello Run

I have known a few people that talk about such things, but never actually do it even after gaining the necessary exams

I know one person who gave up their typical life in UK & they now have an unbelievable life, I admire them

You have no ties

Chance of a lifetime - take it !

GO FOR IT !!!

Good luck

lem73 Sun 01-Feb-15 21:32:45

I did TEFL. It's a great experience but make sure you have a long term plan. Think carefully what country you want to teach in. Countries like Spain and Italy are very popular so it is difficult to find a job. In other countries you may encounter difficulties with work permits or not be able to earn enough. Do plenty of research. Also do your TEFL certificate abroad. It's cheaper and there's a ready supply of students to teach.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: