Talk

Advanced search

Not keen to go for promotion - how does this look to employers?

(10 Posts)
mumsnit Sat 10-Jan-15 16:35:56

I've recently been offered an opportunity for promotion on a temporary basis but it would mean going against a respected colleague at interview. It's only for a few months until the person who has been recruited for the job starts. I think I'd feel bad if I got it (about my colleague) and worse if I don't! My boss is really pushing me to go for it but I don't particularly want the extra responsibility that comes with the job and really enjoy my current role. Basically it's just not the right move for me at the moment.

How would it look to my employer if I refuse to go for this? I do want promotion in the next few years but just not at the moment. I'm worried I'll get passed over next time around or seen as flakey and non ambitious!

Help/advice would be very welcome.

flowery Sat 10-Jan-15 16:59:35

Well there's no doubt that having taken on more experience for a few months would help your chances of promotion later.

The reason about your colleague is rubbish. If you both apply, the best person will get the job, and if you're the best person that is not something to feel guilty about. Plus that situation is also likely to apply when you do want promotion in the future.

Some people are not ambitious and prefer to sit in a job they like and are good at without moving. But if you're not like that, and do want promotion, you really need an actual reason if you don't want to build up your CV with a bit of extra experience now.

What's the reason you "don't particularly want the extra responsibility" now, but will in the future?

mumsnit Sat 10-Jan-15 17:36:57

I have a child with a long term condition so really don't want to stress about work too much. This may well become a bit easier to work around over the next few years when he starts school.

I had to go up against a colleague to get my current role (this happens a lot in my workplace) and it created a lot of bad feeling on his part when I got it.

MoreBeta Sat 10-Jan-15 17:40:10

This is a load of tosh! Don't do it.

Your boss is asking you to do a job someone else has been recruited for at no doubt a much higher salary and you will get NOTHING out of it. You are just digging your boss out of a hole until they get the job covered.

If you are that good then they should have given you the job - not recruit someone else.

mumsnit Sat 10-Jan-15 18:27:06

I would be paid extra but yes, morebeta you are right there is a feeling that I'm just plugging the gap! I would have to go for yet another interview if I wanted a permanent role at a higher level.

wobblebobblehat Sat 10-Jan-15 18:53:44

Agree with MoreBeta. Why did they not ask you to go for it when it was being advertised. hmm

MoreBeta Sat 10-Jan-15 23:41:41

Don't tell me.

Is it a bloke who has been given the job or a friend of the boss?

mumsnit Sun 11-Jan-15 17:34:33

Something like that MoreBeta!

Emmie412 Mon 12-Jan-15 12:07:00

I would take it. It's only a few months and someone else will take over after that. Your CV will look better for it as well and you will have gained lots of experience.

GlitteryLipgloss Mon 12-Jan-15 12:26:43

I wouldn't take it.

If you are happy. Stay where you are. I think you would be opening a can of worms for yourself if you took it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now