Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

working tax credits - what if you don't always work 30 hours

(6 Posts)
unclebumpkin Tue 06-Jan-15 23:48:01

I think I read to claim working tax credits, you have to work 30 hours minimum but whilst I'm scheduled to do that... at the moment my hours are slightly variable... so am not sure I'd be eligible every week... I just wondered how it works...

thank you

a2011x Wed 07-Jan-15 00:11:40

Phone them and ask

Trust me I have been through court in the last few days for this sort of thing and just assuming and guessing that I didn't have to tell them that . It's not worth the guess get their advice

Rockchick1984 Wed 07-Jan-15 14:19:10

Are you a lone parent or the only one in your relationship who works? Or does your partner work too?

morethanpotatoprints Wed 07-Jan-15 14:22:20

If you have a partner the hours vary and I'm sure you only need 8 or 16.

Good luck getting through, it took me all morning on monday. sad

I think you have to add your hours up during the year and then divide and hope your minimum per week is also their min per week.

TheSporkforeatingkyriarchy Wed 07-Jan-15 14:33:09

I agree with asking, but generally it's done by averages. There is likely paperwork your employer will need to fill in with codes and stuff that will include the average hours you work per week for the tax year. My DP works night shifts which can be all over the place which is probably why they rely on the employer for these things.

unclebumpkin Tue 13-Jan-15 11:11:57

i think i read somewhere this whole process is going online this year - but can't remember where i read this... i'm not sure when exactly... maybe in the new tax year... anybody know?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: