Talk

Advanced search

Give up my job and be a sahm?

(5 Posts)
milkyman Mon 05-Jan-15 12:57:20

I used to love my job before maternity leave, I've been back for over a year and hate it. I work 2 days a week which sounds great but I am given over 3 days of work to do. I never have breaks or lunchtime. I now have to teach but am not quslified and am given lot of responsibilty for students but no time or resources. I can't do it properly. I feel used and taken for granted. A lot of people have recently left for the same reasons. As a result i have been offered a better position but it is very vague and my instinct is to turn it down.

I dread going in, feel i have more responsibility than those who are paid more but am blamed when targets are not reached. I am over qualified for the post but cannot seem to find other decent jobs that part time.

Should i threaten to leave or just go?

Hoppinggreen Mon 05-Jan-15 14:04:44

If you can afford to be a sahm and feel mentally able to then yes do it.

dizzydollie Tue 06-Jan-15 06:59:14

Hi Milkyman,

Could you maybe stay at home but do some tutoring to keep your hand in a little bit?

I only say this because although being at home is good for you and your lo's you might feel like you want to return to work later. At least if you were tutoring you could pick your hours and still be doing something different for a little while?

HoggleHoggle Tue 06-Jan-15 07:05:19

In that situation I would be inclined to stop the job.

Agree with dizzie though, is there a compromise you can do re. still doing something yet being at home? My job didn't allow part time hours so I didn't return after ML, but I'm about to try and do a similar role on a freelance basis. So hopefully I will mostly be a SAHM but also able to earn a little money when ds is at nursery a couple of mornings a week. And I am 'keeping my hand' in somewhat.

FamiliesShareGerms Tue 06-Jan-15 07:05:26

Can you afford not to work? Does DP agree you can afford not to work? Could you afford not to if there was a significant change in DP's circumstances? What is your revised retirement provision plan if you stop paying into a pension?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now