Talk

Advanced search

keep getting told to clock-out early at temp job - advice please

(12 Posts)
unclebumpkin Mon 05-Jan-15 10:37:53

I took a Xmas temp job and now the work keeps drying up and over the last week or week I've been made to swipe out early - which will mean less money in my wages. I presume they can do this? I think when I took the job there was no mention of this would happen.

I'm actually wondering if I can extricate myself from the job completely... and then sign-on/jobhunt...

Advice please...

flowery Mon 05-Jan-15 11:01:01

What do you mean "swipe out early"? Do you mean you stay working but are not clocked in, therefore won't get paid for work you are doing, or do you mean they are reducing your hours and sending you home early?

If it's the latter, what dies your contract say about hours?

unclebumpkin Mon 05-Jan-15 11:08:58

the latter - and don't believe i have a copy

flowery Mon 05-Jan-15 11:13:56

You don't believe you have a copy. Have you actually checked? It would be unusual to have destroyed/mislaid a contract so recently issued.

If you can't find your copy, do you have any other written evidence of what your contracted hours are?

unclebumpkin Mon 05-Jan-15 11:26:49

i've found what i think is the contract... i think there's a clause saying they can do this but i'm not a lawyer anyway... i'd be surprised if there wasn't one though - i assume this is sort of thing is legal...

flowery Mon 05-Jan-15 11:56:08

Whether it is lawful depends on the contract wording. What does it say?

Unexpected Mon 05-Jan-15 13:34:22

You sound very uncertain about anything. You should't need to be a lawyer to understand what the clause says. However, fi you include the wording here, someone will most likely be able to clarify. Is your contract a zero-hours one?

maggiethemagpie Mon 05-Jan-15 17:54:47

If it were me I'd be tempted to say 'no, sorry I can't afford to do that' if they tried to make me clock out early.

May end up with same result but I'd enjoy guilt tripping them along the way.

LIZS Mon 05-Jan-15 18:20:10

Presumably as a temp they can vary your hours according to workload unless a minimum no. hours was agreed. Maybe you should accept that it was seasonal and use the spare time to find something else before they let you go.

unclebumpkin Mon 12-Jan-15 09:50:42

think it used you to be the law that they had to pay you for at least 4 hours - guess that may have changed. anybody know?

Unexpected Mon 12-Jan-15 10:04:53

Did you find your contract? What does that say about hours?

flowery Mon 12-Jan-15 11:52:28

No the law doesn't say that employers have to pay people for a minimum of 4 hoursOP. What does the clause in your contract say? No one can help you without that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now