Talk

Advanced search

Am I entitled to time off for antenatal classes?

(8 Posts)
wonderwoman25 Sat 03-Jan-15 17:54:43

Can anyone advise me if I am entitled to time off work to attend antenatal classes? I work part-time and have been advised by my midwife to attend hypnobirthing classes. I am aware that I am entitled to paid time off for antenatal appointments but am I right in saying that classes are included under the term 'antenatal care'? My employer is willing to give me the time off but said I have to make up the hours. Would like to know my rights before going back to her.

flowery Sat 03-Jan-15 19:46:58

Yes. Classes recommended by your midwife are included Are there no classes on your day/s off? You are entitled to reasonable time off as I said, but your employer may feel a bit hmm if you could take them during your own time but choose not to.

wonderwoman25 Sun 04-Jan-15 14:56:20

Hi flowery, unfortunately there is only the one class running in the area-it falls on my day of work and it's in the afternoon! Due to childcare constraints I am not in a position to change my days of work. If I knew for definite that I am legally entitled to time off for hypnobirthing (which has been recommended in writing by my midwife) then I feel my employer should agree to it. However if I'm not then I can see where she is coming from and would take it out of my annual leave. Thought it seemed to be a bit of a grey area and couldn't find anything to specific to clarify this!?

flowery Sun 04-Jan-15 15:09:23

Thought my link was pretty specific. Ante natal classes recommended by a midwife or doctor count.

Millerpup Sun 04-Jan-15 18:34:48

Flowery is right you are entitled to time off and you should take a copy of your letter to your employer as the classes have been recommended.
However, your employer may be a little disgruntled with letting you have the time if you are also taking time off for your regular ante natal appointments in his working time aswell.

wonderwoman25 Mon 05-Jan-15 20:54:40

Sorry flowery hadn't seen your link! Thanks for help.

maggiethemagpie Tue 06-Jan-15 18:13:26

Technically you are entitled to paid time off but you may piss off your employer if you are doing this whilst working part time - they will question why you can't go in your own time.

Depends how important maintaining the relationship with your boss is.

maggiethemagpie Tue 06-Jan-15 18:14:56

sorry just saw your post about it only being on one day of the week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now