Talk

Advanced search

What would happen in your workplace if....(FB related)

(24 Posts)
susannahmoodie Sat 03-Jan-15 10:36:13

A member of staff wrote on fb that she 'nearly headbutted' another member of staff in 'rage' and proceeded to call that person a knobhead, fucker and jobsworth. Not public but visible to friends who are colleagues and ex colleagues.....

Madlizzy Sat 03-Jan-15 10:37:04

They'd be disciplined.

sooperdooper Sat 03-Jan-15 10:38:02

If it was reported to management I think they'd speak to both people involved, is the incident suggested to have happened during work hours or on work premises?

susannahmoodie Sat 03-Jan-15 10:40:05

Yes, on work premises...she is a head of department and she is writing about the caretaker- she went in during hols and caretaker made her leave as they were closing up. And she was too late...

BitchPeas Sat 03-Jan-15 10:40:06

Disciplined, probably an 80%chance of getting sacked.

Shenanagins Sat 03-Jan-15 10:40:15

Disciplinary action, possibly leading to dismissal.

YoullLikeItNotaLot Sat 03-Jan-15 10:40:25

Its depend on whether that message was made available to management/HR. Assuming someone prints off or screenshots it & forwards a copy then yes, that person would be disciplined.

PunkrockerGirl Sat 03-Jan-15 10:42:44

Disciplined, definitely. There's a very clear social network policy where I work.

YoullLikeItNotaLot Sat 03-Jan-15 10:43:07

People on fb often make the mistake of thinking because their settings are "private" it somehow protects them the second they post, their content is available for their "friends" to print off/copy and paste. They can't control how it is treated. Google and you will find judgements to that effect.

Pixa Sat 03-Jan-15 10:45:29

Disciplinary procedure would be followed, they may be invited to leave...

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Sat 03-Jan-15 11:12:10

Completely unthinkable, they probably wouldn't be formally disciplined as we are a tiny business and few formal policies, but they would probably end up leaving.

In my last job (large corporation) formal disciplinary action, career in the company effectively over.

susannahmoodie Sat 03-Jan-15 11:12:19

Yes that is what's happened in this instance you'lllike..

Staywithme Sat 03-Jan-15 11:28:53

Her lack of maturity, considering her position, is astounding. What would make her think that putting something like that on her Facebook is acceptable. I can have a mouth like a sailer at times but have more wit than to speak like that on Facebook as I know some of my friends would be horrified.

Of course she will be disciplined if that gets back to her work. The caretaker could well end up taking advantage of what she has done. Think long term sickness due to bullying. It doesn't matter if she didn't bully him, after that post any accusations that he makes towards her will be taken seriously. Good grief, I bet she would be the first to discipline any of her staff that spoke about her like that.

susannahmoodie Sat 03-Jan-15 14:53:34

Ok so if you had a screenshot of said status, even though you aren't fb friends, Wwyd....?

Matildahaspowers Sat 03-Jan-15 15:26:14

I am shocked that someone in charge could put such a thing on FB. I would be shocked if they get away with it.
Someone I work with was disciplined for a minor comment about working overnight (it was, literally, nothing). It turned out that a 'friend' of hers on FB had showed a relative (who worked with us)...so, basically, she was being spied on!
Since that incident, I have blocked all current work colleagues. I still have ex-colleagues on as I like to stay in touch. And, never mention work or colleagues on FB!
A similar incident has happened at school just before Christmas. Someone has bad mouthed a teacher, head and the school. It spread and the school found out. I didn't know anything about it (as not friends with the culprit) but a letter was sent out to all parents on the last day of term. I think they will be looking into it after Christmas.
FB can be a dangerous place!

AnneEyhtMeyer Sat 03-Jan-15 15:30:38

Something very similar happened where I used to work and the person was dismissed for gross misconduct. This was a FTSE 100 company.

animaniac Sat 03-Jan-15 15:41:41

There has been a similar FB issue at my work - moaning about work. Colleague in question was not FB friends with any of the management team however her settings were not private, one of her 'friends' (also a colleague) showed it to another colleague (who was not FB friends with her) and this colleague reported it to management. HR were involved, colleague in question was suspended and disciplinary action taken. We thought they would be sacked but colleague managed to save themselves and returned to work. Unpleasant business all round - colleague who posted on FB whilst having public settings was very silly, but the person who reported it was being very spiteful (somewhat of a backstory there).

YoullLikeItNotaLot Sat 03-Jan-15 16:45:25

I don't know OP.

I think it's important to be able to live with your actions so you need to decide which will trouble you more/less - knowing a HoD has flawed judgement and has acted unprofessionally/offensively and you doing nothing or forwarding the screenshot knowing what the likely consequence will be. The colleague has created the situation so I wouldn't feel too bad about her, but I would need to be "true" to myself if that doesn't sound too wanky.

VanitasVanitatum Sat 03-Jan-15 16:50:20

I would leave well alone. She sounds aggressive and immature but I wouldn't get involved, no way.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 03-Jan-15 16:52:37

They'd be sacked I would think.

Wishfulmakeupping Sat 03-Jan-15 16:55:27

Keep it in case you need it in the future but I'd sit on it for now

Blankiefan Sat 03-Jan-15 20:26:47

Who are you in this situ OP? Are you directly involved? if you are the caretaker, you should inform your manager and action is likely to be taken.

If you are the caretaker and you don't report it now, I don't think it's appropriate to "sit on it for now". Would you intend to hold it over the head of the head of dept? This wouldn't put you in a great light.

If you're not involved directly, either share it with your manager/HR because you're appalled by the post (understandably) or bin it. Keeping it as some sort of leverage in the future is inappropriate.

auntpetunia Wed 07-Jan-15 21:45:47

Disciplined with likelihood of being sacked at my school. Our social media policy is very clear.

GlitteryLipgloss Thu 08-Jan-15 13:45:27

I am so shocked that the HEAD OF DEPARTMENT wrote that. They should of known ALOT better.

I think someone else might pip you to the post anyway. I cant imagine no one saying anything.

If it was me I might anonymously print the screen shot and leave it on her desk.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now