Talk

Advanced search

How to get confidence back

(5 Posts)
MrsWhirling Mon 29-Dec-14 12:28:25

Hi all, I've been with my current employer for 20yrs!!! I'm 39. I've always been very good at my job and well respected but over the years a number of things like two maternity leaves, elderly parents and restructuring have, I feel, affected my career. I have seen a job with another organisation but it is a promotion with more responsibly. I want to apply but am full of self-doubt. How do you shake it off or know if you are taking on more than you can chew? X

EBearhug Mon 29-Dec-14 18:26:38

I find being aware of imposter syndrome helps. Also, going through the job requirements and picking out relevant experience and knowledge for each point helps.

Also remember that in general men will go for a job when they match a far lower percentage of the requirements than women will (can't remember the exact figures.) So when it comes to job hunting, you have to think like a man - you might not have everything they're looking for, but you can probably blag it in an interview and learn it on the job. (Yeah, that makes me feel nervous, too, but things I've done when I've been out of my comfort zone usually work out, so why would a job which is only a bit beyond what I currently do be different?)

Finally, the only thing you can guarantee is that if you don't go for it, you won't get it. You might not get it anyway - even if you're perfect for it, there might be someone else they already have in mind or something - there are loads of reasons why people who don't get the job, even if they'd be perfectly capable of it. But if you've been in a job for 20 years, then going through the process of applying and interviewing, is good practice in itself, and you may highlight areas you need more experience or training, so it can help you give more focus for the next application, if you don't make it on this one, and you can look at filling in the gaps in your development plan.

MrsWhirling Thu 01-Jan-15 22:50:56

Thank you EBearhug. Very wise words indeed!

Chimichangaz Sun 04-Jan-15 08:20:41

Hi MrsW

Myself and a friend took vol redundancy last year, she had worked there over 20 years and was, like yourself, full of self-doubt that she would get another job. We had a weekly 'job club' for the two of us where we would find suitable jobs and apply for them, giving each other emotional and practical support in the process. She is now in a contracting role earning bucket loads of money in a very well-respected organisation. I would say that having support from someone who knows your work (a trusted friend or colleague at work?) will also help. You may not be aware of just how brilliant you are, and someone else can help point this out to you, as well as give support like help you to put your application together, prepare for the interview etc.

Go for it! What have you got to lose?! (Great advice from EB too)

Good luck.

Nolim Tue 06-Jan-15 08:30:57

Sometimes you can be your own worst critic. Dont be. Be strong. Be positive. Be assertive. If you apply and they dont call you then its not the job for you. If the do call it is because they see something they like. Show them how great you are!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now