Talk

Advanced search

Public sedtor/ request to move up a pay scale?

(3 Posts)
worriednow1 Fri 26-Dec-14 11:52:12

Hvae been in my present job for sevral years, got more responsibilities. what woudl be the right way of asking 1. to review my job title ( to have a more senior 2. to put me on a higher pay scale ( national pay) ? Shall I put it in writing or chat first? thank you

SkyHighWhy Sun 28-Dec-14 09:49:06

First, be very sure that you would fulfill the criteria for an upgrading. Where I work, there has to be a permanent and sustainable expansion in the duties. You say you have more responsibilities, so that should help you.

How about you review your actual job against a) your current job descriptor; and b) the generic descriptor for the next grade up. If you meet a lot of the requirements for the next grade up, summarise this and have a chat with your own line manager. It may be that he/she is unaware of just how much you are taking on in terms of additional responsibilities, as these things tend to happen gradually over a period of time. I'd like to think that your line manager will be supportive of your upgrading ambitions, and, if there are still gaps in what you need experience of, to make the next grade up, will support you with development opportunities to get that upgrading.

Do you know what the process for getting upgraded is? In my place there are forms to complete, your manager has to write a business case.

SkyHighWhy Sun 28-Dec-14 09:51:17

To answer your question more clearly: get your info together, then have a chat. I would follow up the chat with an email, capturing the advice your line manager gave you about how to proceed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now