Talk

Advanced search

How do I ask for more?

(8 Posts)
SkyHighWhy Mon 22-Dec-14 15:12:14

I feel underpaid, in comparison to other staff on my grade, but can’t see how to persuade my boss to pay me more, whether through promotion (preferably!) or even a one-off increment. Looking for ideas. Most people on my grade and the one above, have no staff at all. All those on my grade or the one above have at least one, but mostly two, line managers between them and the head of unit. Apart from me, all those who report directly to the head of unit are 3 grades higher than me.

I have been at the top of my payscale for 4 years, and 2014 was the most challenging year I’ve ever had. I feel I deserve better recognition of the challenges I’ve faced this year, and of the responsibilities I have in general. To get upgraded permanently, I’d need to write a business case which will be reviewed by several senior people, and HR. This was tried about a year ago, and failed. Frankly, I cannot see a business case. After all, I am already doing the job, it’s not like they can’t fill the post. My boss will not pay me more just to cheer me up, and as I report directly to him, there’s no one else to help me fight my corner! I feel like he has got me on the cheap: other people on the same grade have far fewer responsibilities, AND more support.
I see my options as:

a)Find another job. Have already tried, didn’t succeed; boss was worried briefly, but the moment has passed. I am still looking.
b)Just accept that this is the end of the line, and stop working so hard.

Anyone got any other ideas?

MoonlightandMistletoe Mon 22-Dec-14 22:40:18

Reading the above, on a personal level, I can absolutely see why you should be getting a bonus/pay-rise - you've worked hard, overcome challenges and have a level of responsibility above that indicated by your official 'level'.

From a business perspective, however, everything you've listed sets out why you should benefit, not how the business has benefitted or will benefit from your effort, IYSWIM?

Could you flick this around?
e.g. Change from the generic personal: I worked overtime to get X process updated.
To the specific business benefit: Due to my process change implementation we reduced process complexity by X% - saving the business £X.

Or from: I report in directly to the Head of Unit and have far more responsibility than others on my level. I work very hard and take on anything asked of me.
To: My successful handling of X,Y,Z issues/my management of the day to day tasks allocated by the Head of Unit allowed him to focus on achieving the key strategic goals for 2014.

That said, it is possible that it will take a move to a new place for your expertise to be properly recognised. Still, there's no harm in building a new business case based on the value you create for the business - worst case it will be a useful crib sheet when selling yourself in interviews.

CheddarGorgeous Mon 22-Dec-14 22:47:26

What sector are you in? Public sector is much less flexible IME and doesn't reward hard workers, it's all about the role as described meeting certain criteria.

SkyHighWhy Mon 22-Dec-14 23:31:31

Moonlight - you are right. If I work on that angle it will at least be worth having a conversation with my boss. It may also form the groundwork for selling myself elsewhere.

Cheddar - spot on.

Thanks both.

maggiethemagpie Sat 27-Dec-14 13:22:05

One way to get a pay rise is to get a job offer paying more and threaten to resign. I've seen it happen many times, in my last job it was pretty much the only way to get a pay rise and it worked most of the time (if they wanted to keep the individual).

Letthemtalk Sat 27-Dec-14 13:27:53

Maggie, that wouldn't work in public sector, bosses would just wish you well and then work out how to divvy up your work so they don't have to replace you.

You need to look at the banding criteria and look at how your job matches them.

SkyHighWhy Wed 31-Dec-14 01:27:44

maggie - yep that happens. See my point a) above smile
Let - yes, been there, tried that. May need to try harder!

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Wed 31-Dec-14 01:31:05

Half of my colleagues have threatened to resign if I leave so I'm sure I could ask for some more money. I'm going to wait and see what my bonus is at the end of this tax year and take it from there grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: