Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dismissed on Probation Period

(26 Posts)
absolutelyred Wed 17-Dec-14 14:18:04

Please Help!!
Im halfway through a probation period in a school and they've called me in today and told me im failing my probation and they will be letting me go in January2015, Im devastated. I haven't been unemployed in years and gave up a secure job to go here. They are not saying but there are council cut backs going ahead in schools in my area. Im a single mum with two school age children, if they dismiss me can i claim JSA?? Or will i be sanctioned because they failed my probation. Im shocked and sad and very worried....

leeloo1 Wed 17-Dec-14 14:22:09

Have they previously given you feedback on where you were going wrong? If not then it does seem very unfair. sad

absolutelyred Wed 17-Dec-14 14:25:33

No, nothing, she asked me to agree with them that it wasn't working out but I declined to comment in case it affects me claiming JSA if i have to, I don't want them to say its my fault :-(

Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Wed 17-Dec-14 16:28:22

You really have to push for more details.

Have you actually failed your probation period or have they miscalculated their budget and are being forced to let you go.

Failing a probation period could look bad on future job applications so I'd recommend you get more details.

- Why have they said it's not working out?
- do you have a mentor who has expressed concerns?
- Can they give specific examples of where your work/attitude was not up to scratch.
- Has your timekeeping being punctual?
etc etc

You definately need more feedback on this.

PulpsNotFiction Wed 17-Dec-14 16:45:27

It wont impact on your right to claim JSA. If you leave voluntarily or are dismissed it does but there's an exception if it's a temporary post or a trial/probationary period. Make sure you claim from the day after your contract ends, you have to stand to the first seven days now on JSA, which is disgraceful, so your benefit won't go into payment until day 8 after you claim on line.

Another worry is going to be a reference so please make sure you know why they're not keeping you on and ask if they will be providing you with a satisfactory reference.

absolutelyred Wed 17-Dec-14 18:17:16

I've asked for reasons but all they told me was im 'unsuitable', don't know why i've been supporting in education for 15 years. I asked about a reference and was told that ill receive one thats 'reasonable' to my work and length of service, whatever that means???
Then because i was upset they told me to go home from the meeting 15 mins early. I just feel that they are making excuses but i spoke to a lady at Citizens Advice and she told me there is nothing i can do to get more answers and that my JSA might be sanctioned but she thought probably not

Viviennemary Wed 17-Dec-14 18:20:39

You should certainly see a union rep if you are in a union. What is your actual job title. Can they just say you're unsuitable. I thought they had to give reasons.

absolutelyred Wed 17-Dec-14 18:26:49

All they told me was that although i had worked in secondary schools, they didn't think i was suited to primary, she also told me that as it was a probationary period they could just tell me to go.
Im very worried, there aren't many jobs around at the moment, it being Christmas....

flowery Wed 17-Dec-14 19:15:57

They don't have to give reasons, no. There are a few exceptions, but basically they can dismiss you at any time during the first two years without explaining why, as long as they give the correct notice.

Sounds like they've said as much as they are prepared to, and I don't think pushing them for more detail is going to help you at all. But it sounds from Pulp as though your JSA won't be affected by being dismissed.

absolutelyred Wed 17-Dec-14 19:21:39

Thank you all for all your advice, feel very sad but am accepting theres nothing i can do about it. Just hope some jobs turn up in the New Year or that ill be ok on JSA for a small amount of time

flowery Wed 17-Dec-14 19:30:53

Best of luck flowers

Millerpup Wed 17-Dec-14 21:21:59

I am so sorry this has happened and it is quite normal for an employer to extend a probationary period giving reasons why and an opportunity for you to put right where they think you are going wrong. It is really unusual for them to dismiss you without an explanation.
Personally i would write a letter stating that throughout your probationary period your attendance was excellent there were no complaints regarding your work that you were aware of and that you enjoyed working for the company and that this has come as a complete shock especially as you were selected for the role based on your application.
Ask for them to give reasons for their decision as it seems very unfair to be dismissed as unsuitable without an explanation as to how they found you were unsuitable. Ask them to put their reply in writing as the decision will place your family in severe hardship financially, and not give you any confidence in making applications for future employment.
Keep a copy of the letter and any that is returned as this may assist as a form of evidence for your claim.
Good Luck

Pipbin Wed 17-Dec-14 21:26:32

This is very wrong. They should have given you support before it got this far.
I would get on to the union directly. They won't get you your job back but they might get you a terms wages.

Mostlyjustaluker Wed 17-Dec-14 21:31:54

Are you I a union? Contact the at regional level ASAP. Don't agree to anything until you have spoken to them.

flowery Thu 18-Dec-14 06:30:42

I would get on to the union directly. They won't get you your job back but they might get you a terms wages.

On what basis? Her employer has done absolutely nothing wrong. Why would they give her more money?

Pipbin Thu 18-Dec-14 06:53:15

Because she was under the impression that she had a job and with no notice or reason they are sacking her.

AlpacaYourThings Thu 18-Dec-14 06:58:16

They have given her notice they have said that they are letting her go from Jan 2015.

Pipbin Thu 18-Dec-14 06:59:13

Two weeks? In schools notice is usually a term.

AlpacaYourThings Thu 18-Dec-14 07:12:05

Even during a probation period?

At my workplace during a probation period the notice period is 1 week.

Pipbin Thu 18-Dec-14 07:21:56

I guess it could be different during probation. Still a shitty thing to do and she should still talk to the union about it.

AlpacaYourThings Thu 18-Dec-14 07:32:10

I agree, it's a horrible situation for OP to be in, however, legally there isn't anything the employer has done wrong. (Assuming they have given the correct notice period.

JubJubBirds Thu 18-Dec-14 07:40:18

What was your role OP?

'They should have given you support before it got this far.'
If you're employed they definitely should but I'm not sure about the rules during a probation. Isn't the point of a probation a trial run to see how you handle the job and mix with the team before moving on to proper employment and all that that entails (career development, appraisals, etc)?

flowery Thu 18-Dec-14 08:39:55

"Because she was under the impression that she had a job and with no notice or reason they are sacking her."

Don't know what you mean by she was "under the impression" she had a job confused , but she doesn't say anything that indicates they haven't given her the requisite notice, and as I said, she is not entitled to a reason.

supersupersupershock Sun 21-Dec-14 11:17:47

Personally I would write a formal and polite letter stating that you are very shocked and upset about the situation and asking specifically why they have come to this decision. As flowery [great that Flowery is still around, she helped me out so much some years ago] has said they are in their rights to do this and the best you might be able to get is some understanding into why. You could say about your excellent employment record blah blah blah and you are very concerned that if you have been doing something wrong you really need to at least understand what it is so that you can ensure you are able to rectify it and not find yourself in the same position again (you could add which as a single parent is an extremely daunting prospect as you have to support your family alone)

I've been there myself as a single parent. It WILL turn out for the better in the end. Sometimes these things are just meant to be. Good luck

mrsminiverscharlady Sun 21-Dec-14 11:30:16

Are you employed by the local authority and were you employed by the same local authority before? If so this could mean that you have more than 2 years continuous service which would give you more rights in this situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now