Talk

Advanced search

What flipping job to do to have cash and balance and time for everyone?!!!!!

(13 Posts)
victorianhomedreamer Mon 08-Dec-14 17:57:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bowchickawowow Mon 08-Dec-14 19:18:44

From the experience of people I know personally, working for yourself is flexible and gives you time to yourself if you literally just want to earn "pocket money"
If you want to make a living, working for yourself is very hard work until you reach a certain point and I think you have less family time because you never really switch off. Especially if you are selling.

iamthenewgirl Mon 08-Dec-14 19:41:10

Watching with interest...

victorianhomedreamer Tue 09-Dec-14 09:45:51

Millie2013 Wed 10-Dec-14 07:50:58

Another one watching with interest. I'm off work with stress, as I'm so miserable and I need to find something else to do, but I have no idea what

victorianhomedreamer Wed 10-Dec-14 11:12:19

iamthenewgirl Wed 10-Dec-14 20:01:55

I don't think anyone is saying anything because the vast majority don't have an answer.

I don't have children but would like some semblance of work/balance. I don't think that is unreasonable. I'm cutting short my current contract because I will not be a slave working ridiculous hours. All the permanent employees are too scared to say anything. More fool them.

AgathaPinchBottom Wed 10-Dec-14 20:19:02

I set up my own business in 2009 and do three mornings a week (about 15 hours) - I share it with my business partner. It was tough to start with, we didn't make ANY money for the first 18 months at all, and I did lots of other jobs at night to keep money coming in...but now I am free to do more or less as many hours as I want. I have to say though that running your own business does bring quite a bit of stress and I do sometimes fantasise about PAYE work for somebody else! But on the whole, I am pleased with the current balance of home life and working. (Please note, I got it horribly wrong for three years and have only just got to this point….Before this I juggled three jobs and a baby and ended up in hospital with horrible brain virus…) Good luck with setting up a new business or with finding your new career path.

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Wed 10-Dec-14 20:23:34

School type work: pro is I have holidays/sensible finish time. Con: wage is not bad but not as good as some other career choices I could make.

sunflower49 Wed 10-Dec-14 21:08:05

Did you see the thread I began a few months ago about not having a clue what to do for work. I am in the exact same position. I STILL haven't a clue.

Spindelina Thu 11-Dec-14 09:15:28

DH and I both work a bit less than full time. That works for us, with both of us getting a balance between WOH, childcare, housework, and leisure.

manchestermummy Thu 11-Dec-14 09:21:09

Remove "Archivist" from your list if you are wanting a nice, fit in with parenting type job.

It's not a soft option. I don't know any that work term-time only. And you need significant qualifications.

I don't mean to be rude or dismissive, but that is absolutely one job where there is much, much more to it than you might think.

victorianhomedreamer Fri 12-Dec-14 17:42:09

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now