Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have 2 Very Different Jobs, off Sick from 1

(10 Posts)
daniella2511 Wed 26-Nov-14 09:06:30

Hello,
I have 2 jobs, 1 as a theatre nurse in the NHS, working 30 hours. The other is as a self employed franchisee for a direct sales company where I do skin and body care classes in ladies homes. I also have a website from this company where customers can order directly and goods are sent straight to them (hence I don't have to do anything at all, other than advertise the products). I will not get any sick pay from this.
I had a hysterectomy 10 days ago and will be off sick from the NHS for 12 weeks, due to the physical nature of the job. I will be on full pay for the duration.
I will not be doing any classes for my direct sales business but want to maintain a social media presence, sending out newsletters, showing special offers via my facebook page etc. This ensures I will have a business to come back to.
I'm concerned that some busybody at work (there are a few!!) will see this as me "working" whilst I'm off sick and try to create problems for me. Or it could even be my vindictive ex-husband, especially as he has been suspended by the same NHS trust!!
I've looked online and I don't appear to be breaking any rules but would appreciate any thoughts or guidance you may have on this.
Thanks,
Dani

Bowchickawowow Wed 26-Nov-14 18:19:54

I don't know what NHS rules are but if I were you I would maintain my social media presence BUT Put up a message and reiterate it several times "things might be a bit quieter for a while - I've had an op - I will have someone helping me to keep you updated." Then you are covered as far as nosy parkers are concerned.

ethelb Wed 26-Nov-14 18:31:13

Claim you paid someone else to manage your social media while recuperating if asked

Slowdownsally Wed 26-Nov-14 18:34:32

You can automate social media posts with apps like hootsuite to minimise your working time so you can recover in peace and quiet.

You can also schedule newsletter release dates as well if you use mail chimp or similar.

That could also be the answer to nosey parker's whether you do or don't post!

ThePinkOcelot Wed 26-Nov-14 18:35:41

Why dont you have a quick word with occ health? A colleague of mine was off sick (also nhs) and she kept on doing her other job. A bit similar to you. Apparentky occ health said it wss fine.

SirChenjin Wed 26-Nov-14 18:36:06

I wouldn't assume anything - I would check with my HR department and ask for written confirmation.

ASAS Wed 26-Nov-14 18:39:43

Be careful, perhaps confirm the policy with HR or the union. Before AfC my board had a lot of problems with people on full pay sick leave going bank for neighbouring boards. I notice you said trust, I'm referring to NHS Scotland but I'd check to give you reassurance.

Speedy recovery xx

lunar1 Wed 26-Nov-14 18:46:02

I would ring hr to clarify your position.

Hedgehogparty Thu 27-Nov-14 21:02:29

Agree- I would speak to HR

daniella2511 Mon 01-Dec-14 12:59:23

Thank you everyone, I've put a pinned post on my FB page saying that I'm off and on't be doing any classes. I've phoned HR and waiting for them to get back to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now