Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

NHS new job on Mat leave

(7 Posts)
odi1 Wed 19-Nov-14 12:44:22

Just want some quick advice please as HR have not got back to me.

I am on mat leave from the NHS and I have a new job also in NHS to start after my mat leave finishes.

My current trust want to terminate my contract early so I will lose my last 3 week of Mat pay, not a lot I know but it will no money for the whole of Decemeber and January.

Are they allowed to do this? If so fine, I will have to try and find temp work and sort out childcare very quickly but I didn't think they could dictate when my mat leave ended?
Thanks in advance

flowery Wed 19-Nov-14 13:22:43

I'm confused. Your current employer want to dismiss you? On what grounds?

odi1 Wed 19-Nov-14 13:39:14

Thanks for replying. I have told them I have a new job and that I won't be returning after maternity leave. They asked when I would like my contract with them to end and I suggested the date my maternity leave ends. They got back to me asking for it to be an earlier date.

Tigercake Wed 19-Nov-14 13:44:11

I think you need legal advice on this one. Are you in a union? How king have you worked for this Trust? Are they attempting to terminate a short-term contract?

Perhaps it is the way that you've approached it that is confusing? I think you are resigning from your job. If it were me that is exactly what I would have done, giving the appropriate notice period so that you leave on the day you want to. I would have left the maternity leave out of it.

Tigercake Wed 19-Nov-14 13:44:32

King=long

flowery Wed 19-Nov-14 13:51:15

Just say no then. Say you have resigned and have given x months' notice, and your termination date will be whatever date. You don't need to "suggest" dates, and neither do they. Your notice requirements will be in your contract, so as long as you give at least the required notice, you can choose the date of termination. If they want to terminate your employment that is entirely separate.

odi1 Wed 19-Nov-14 14:09:26

Ok thanks so much for your advice.

I am in a permanent position have been for 2 years. I wasn't sure if I could say no and give my notice as normal would or if me being on maternity leave would change things.

I will email back giving them my notice which pretty much coincides with when I would return from mat leave.

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now