Talk

Advanced search

Work overload

(10 Posts)
queenjellybelly Tue 18-Nov-14 21:18:34

Having a bit of a wobble & don't know where to go for support. I've worked in the public sector for 15 years & my role was recently privatised. This has resulted in many redundancies (fortunately not me although I was at risk) & lots of massively stressed out staff having various stages of breakdowns and stress related absences from work. Very, very busy, lots of inconsistency, not much in the way of management or guidance as ALL staff including managers are in the same boat. Policies are hugely different & this is a massive culture shock to everyone. I've managed okay (or so I thought). Obviously it has been difficult & I've been exhausted every day & feeling increasingly ill. Today I've had to deal with a suicidal client. Not unusual in my job but never pleasant. Was happy to get home but then after putting kids to bed I've just started sobbing for no reason. Can't seem to stop & am realising that I'm not coping after all. Now panicking that I won't stop crying before work tomorrow when I've got another day with a choc full diary. I know nobody can solve this for me but just felt the need to offload.

Millionairerow Tue 18-Nov-14 21:42:19

I totally sympathise. I was about to post something similar. Can one be too helpful in a job? I responded to a query to help someone out, sent the request to resourcing dept for resource and then was criticised for not having a TC with them (I was on back to back calls so couldn't) and have been asked to do more when I already have too much on! I wanted to cry as all I try to do is help and all one gets is shit back and more work dumped on you. I similarly had to deal with a member of staff on the verge of separating from her husband with 2 young kids. I have 3 small children and felt so sorry for her but she doesn't want me to tell anyone sad. She's just returned from maternity and apologised for not pulling her weight. Not that I noticed but feel the burden of her pain! I wanted to cry too!

SkyHighWhy Tue 18-Nov-14 22:48:59

queen, it sounds like you really need a breathing space. You clearly have a lot of responsibilities at work, but you need to look after number 1 first. If you don't, who will?

Suggest you do one or more of these: take a day off; see your GP; speak to your own Occ Health (if you have one).

Take care of yourself.

queenjellybelly Wed 19-Nov-14 00:23:10

I know you're right. Worried about being off sick though as not had a day off in 3 years, its just too much hassle to go back to, especially when there's no one there to cover your work. But I've started with a godawful migraine today that just isn't shifting & its starting to make me nauseous. I know its triggered by stress. Think I'll ring in for a couple of days so I can recharge. Terrified I could be working with a difficult case & break down in front of a client, which won't be good for anyone.

Uppsydaisydoo Wed 19-Nov-14 08:04:41

Queen, I agree with the others, please do take some time off. You need to take care of yourself and recharge. I am going through a similar situation and have just been signed off sick, and I tried as hard as I could to hold it all together whilst receiving zero support. I have not long returned from maternity leave and all sorts of crap was dumped on me. It sounds like you are under huge stress.
It makes me so annoyed that so many employers do this to people. Ok, it's a sign of the times but this is ridiculous.

rollonthesummer Wed 19-Nov-14 08:11:06

What is the nature of your job? Do you get supervision opportunities where you can offload? It sounds like you should.

Greenrememberedhills Wed 19-Nov-14 08:29:03

Definitely a bit of time off. But when you go back I also think you need an appointment with your manager to discuss the situation.

Down the line it might just be important (as employers can argue in stress related cases that they were not made aware and therefore couldn't act to resolve).

Also- and this might sound odd- think really hard about whether you are one of those people who feels they must demonstrate an ability to cope with everything thrown at them? That will make you more vulnerable if it's the case. The more relaxed and selfish character types cope better with stress often, but because they say no to more than they can cope with.

queenjellybelly Wed 19-Nov-14 18:56:31

I'm a criminal justice substance misuse worker. I would usually get supervision every couple of months but since the privatisation at the beginning of october, we haven't really had management in place for much of the time. It's all work in progress & I'm confident it will settle down given enough time as all my colleagues/management are amazing but its hard on everyone at the moment with job roles altering, redundancies & huge workloads for the remaining staff. I'm currently in a position where I have 2 managers debating over who I actually work for with the manager for my job role at a different location & the manager at my location not managing my job role but no clarity anymore over what my job role should or will involve going forward. I hate complaining as believe it or not I love my job & am so grateful that I haven't been made redundant. I have had the day off today & have said I'm having the rest of the week off. I do feel a little better (despite the migraine) so will see what next week brings.

queenjellybelly Wed 19-Nov-14 19:41:05

Green, I think you're right & I DO feel like I have to cope. I think that's fostered an expectation in others that I will manage without question. However, because we're from a number of different organisations that have been merged into one I've been getting unexpected support from new colleagues. There's very much a sense of all being in it together. This is why I'm struggling to understand where the tears came from last night. Im secure in a job I love with wonderful colleagues. I should be relishing new challenges not falling apart.

Greenrememberedhills Wed 19-Nov-14 23:51:02

" no clarity over what my job role should be going forward".

There you have it.

Also, that's a green light for everyone to assume you can do everything and for you to assume you'd better do so.

Perhaps use the DANOS competence statements, if they still exist, to reassess your role with your manager. Wherever they are. And to agree with the same location manager that you don't account to her.

Is there a chance you could get them both together to look at this, or at least ensure that both of them are in the loop with a review process?

There may not be time for this- but you must find it, and drop other stuff for now. The alternative is collapse.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the client group itself is very draining.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now