Talk

Advanced search

Overlapping old and new job?

(4 Posts)
Rooflights Tue 18-Nov-14 14:07:41

Any employment experts around? smile

I currently work (p/t) in a support role in a school but will be starting a new job a couple of weeks before the end of term. I will have accrued enough overtime hours to cover my working hours till the end of term, so understand I will be paid as up until the end of term even though I won't go in to school for the final two weeks.

Is there any issue with my starting the new job while I am still officially employed in my old job? The old job is only 1.5 days a week, and the new job is 2 days a week, so theoretically, I could do both alongside one another.

I'm not sure where to look for advice!

RubberBulletKisses Tue 18-Nov-14 14:24:36

I know nothing about employment law etc, but might it not cause complications with regards tax and NI?

confusedandemployed Thu 20-Nov-14 13:29:45

I've overlapped jobs twice now and there have been no issues at all. I did pay Basic Rate tax until I received my P45 from my old job, which resulted in a very small tax rebate the following month, but it was fine. As long as both sets of employers are happy, just do it.

confusedandemployed Thu 20-Nov-14 13:30:16

Sorry - that should have said "I did pay Basic Rate tax on the new job's wages"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now