Talk

Advanced search

Potential redundancy and maternity leave advice

(3 Posts)
Becca1818 Mon 17-Nov-14 17:19:08

Hi all
Hope I am posting in the right section but I am after a bit of advice. Sorry it might be a long one!
I started work with a new company in March this year. I found out I was pregnant in June but did not tell my employer this until September as I was still on probation. I waited until my probation period was over but this was still before I legally had to.
I have followed all the rules in terms of telling them and supplying a matb1 etc.
At the moment it seems that the company is struggling financially and I am concerned that redundancy is on the cards. I am due to go on maternity leave on the 23rd jan. As far as I can tell online I will still be eligible for smp as I have been with the company for more than 26 weeks and I have now passed the qualifying week (15 weeks before due date) and I would only get the basic statutory anyway.
My worry is however what do I do if I do get made redundant? If I get another job such as temp work (I can't imagine anyone will want to employ me a few weeks before I start mat leave) will I still be entitled to my smp from my previous employer as technically I wouldn't qualify through a new employer? If I wouldn't what would I do?

flowery Mon 17-Nov-14 17:49:41

This fact sheet explains things really clearly with regards to two jobs and SMP.

I would imagine a better solution would be to bring your maternity leave forward by a few weeks if you are made redundant.

Becca1818 Mon 17-Nov-14 18:43:12

Thanks flowery will have a look.
I hadn't actually considered that. I assumed I would have to give 8 weeks notice to change dates but it's something to look into.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now