Talk

Advanced search

If someone said this at your workplace what would happen?

(16 Posts)
susannahmoodie Sun 16-Nov-14 20:32:41

Head of department at a staff luncheon, opts for steak, and says "two steaks a day keeps the gay away"....?

Parietal Sun 16-Nov-14 20:52:02

Our HoD wouldn't.

But if anyone did, someone would pull them up on it. several staff are openly gay and others support them.

Hulababy Sun 16-Nov-14 20:53:41

I can't imagine it ever happening in our staffroom tbh but...

...more than one person, if not several, would pull them up on it.

sillymillyb Sun 16-Nov-14 20:54:20

I'm self employed now, but at my last place they would be openly called on being a twat and told in no in certain terms to stop it. It was a very open work place though, and there wasn't much done through official channels.

Staywithme Sun 16-Nov-14 20:55:09

I'd make life difficult for myself because I'd call them out on it. Fecking twat. They'd also be reported to personnel.

Blu Sun 16-Nov-14 20:59:16

There would be a chorus of diverse challenges, from people muttering 'FFS' to others explaining very directly why it is not appropriate. If it was a pattern or connected to other similar comments or behaviour someone would complain to a manager.

What a stupid comment, anyway. is it a common saying?

Chipandspuds Sun 16-Nov-14 21:03:29

Tbh in my office I think most people would laugh...not that that is right!

ilovesooty Fri 21-Nov-14 01:08:14

They'd be challenged on the spot. I'd probably find it was reported to me pretty quickly (I have specific responsibility for equality and diversity) and I'd be speaking with them even if they were senior to me). If I wasn't happy with the outcome I'd report it to senior management.

Canyouforgiveher Fri 21-Nov-14 01:15:24

They would probably be challenged on the spot. they would definitely be reported to HR who would treat it seriously - as in investigate etc.

Do people really still say this stuff??

Sandthorn Fri 21-Nov-14 16:05:54

My colleagues would eat them alive there and then for being a complete knob, HoD or not! And depending on whether they acknowledged their mistake and apologised with good grace, I wouldn't be surprised to see formal complaints about it.

happygirl87 Fri 21-Nov-14 16:08:06

The one gay guy on my team would say (in an exaggerated camp manner) "look darling, I don't think you need the steak- the gays are looking for someone far better groomed than you! And that shirt was a very brave choice...." Or something like that

BikeRunSki Fri 21-Nov-14 16:09:20

That comment would lead to a disciplinary investigation and diversity awareness training with us.

iamthenewgirl Fri 21-Nov-14 17:49:21

Well, I for one, would tell them off along the lines of...

"John!!! Behave yourself or I will have to report you to HR..."

Does he normally do this or was he getting overly excited and being out of the office eating steak? If it's a one off I would forget it.

Mind you, good job you're not a PA, I've heard far worse than that. Not that I am saying it is okay. Probably have a thicker skin as a result...

TheAlias Fri 21-Nov-14 17:59:02

I don't know anyone who would say that and I work in a pretty laddish culture.

I think there would be a couple of people tell them they couldn't say things like that but I don't think anything would actually "happen".

Being charitable my Dad once said something really really racist which he didn't mean at all , he'd just got his words muddled up.

Bowchickawowow Fri 21-Nov-14 19:52:07

One of my team was bullied out of a previous job due to homophobia so I would speak up in no uncertain terms.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 21-Nov-14 19:57:25

Today, I'd definitely pull them up on it and they'd get hmm looks from the younger staff members.

Ten years ago it would probably have been the then CEO saying it (raving sexist/racist/homophobe) so people would let it pass and/or laugh along.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now