Talk

Advanced search

Applying for my line manager's maternity leave cover - all thoughts welcomed!

(6 Posts)
bonniebrid Sat 15-Nov-14 22:36:14

Have NC as I work in a 'desirable' industry and have answered questions about my career on here before.

I got a new job earlier this year with an amazing company and I love it - it was a promotion and they seem really happy with my work. My line manager is currently away but has announced she is pregnant. I want to put myself forward for her cover but am not sure how to approach it. She is the next level up from me and in a fairly senior role.

I will have been here a year by the time she goes on maternity leave. I'm currently managing the team while she is away for a month (a step up for me) and she has left me in charge of them. So how do I say 'I love this, can I do it while you're away?'

They may not feel I'm experienced enough to do it with just a year under my belt (and being totally honest I'm not sure I am either) but I don't want to let this opportunity pass me by. Could I sound her/them out by saying 'Would there be any opportunity to take on some of your responsibilities while you're on maternity leave?' I would be quite upset if they got someone in above me to do the role as a FTC so want to let them know that I feel I could take it on - although it would be a real leap.

So as not to drip feed, DH and I would like to have a baby in 2016 so this would probably be my one chance to take over this role before having my own maternity leave.

evelynj Sun 16-Nov-14 08:56:41

As you on good terms with your line manager? Try to work hard & show what you can do now (without doing a massively better job than her!) & when she's catching up with you when shes back & you're congratulating her, say I was wondering if there's any chance I'd be able to apply to cover for you when you're on ML? Just be straight-they may have to advertise it or whatever but if you can use her as a sounding board that would be good.

Congratulations btw - it sounds like you're doing a great job & good luck smile

SummerSazz Sun 16-Nov-14 09:01:10

In this situation I think you need to think like a man - they tend to never question their ability and suitability to make the next step whereas women (generalisation) tend to lean towards needing to prove they can already do it before asking for the opportunity for the next step.
I'd say a massive 'go for it'. Be confident (bit not bullish although you don't sound like you would be at all) and put yourself out there for it.
Good luck - from just your few words is be confident you could deliver smile

bonniebrid Sun 16-Nov-14 20:18:47

Thanks Summer and Evelyn!

I am on good terms with her, she asked me earlier this year to apply for the job I now do (so maybe she had an idea she'd be getting pregnant this year?).

I have had quite a quick rise to a management role which has been great but I worry I don't have the years of experience behind me. But I hope I can just breezily ask about it in a confident way and then if it isn't what she was thinking just smile about it (then cry in the toilet)..

SummerSazz Sun 16-Nov-14 20:27:07

If you are good then a quick rise through the ranks is irrelevant.

Forget the 'worry' piece and go for it (see comments re the majority of blokes approach above). The worst they can say is 'no' and tbh I don't think they would. Even if they don't give you the full role I reckon they will be happy for you to take on parts of it.

Be confident and smiley as you say smile

evelynj Sun 16-Nov-14 23:02:49

Yy. You have obv thought about it & believe you can do it, (more than most folk with a 'time served' entitlement), I've always thought a large part of management is taking knock backs well so do a little role playing with someone giving you bad 'no's & then you'll be able to be composed if the worst happens. Even if they didn't want you for it, it's better to show that you're eager so they know you're hungry next time round. Fx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now