Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else's child going thru the hell that is grad scheme applications ?

(7 Posts)
ggirl Sat 15-Nov-14 21:34:30

Dh and I naively assumed it meant a few simple online tests...oh how naive ! We're obviously ancient old buggers, I really feel for youngsters these days ...everything is soooo competitive !

Dd is going thru this atm , in her 4 th yr of uni , anyone else's suffering too?

ggirl Sat 15-Nov-14 23:32:15

Anyone involved at the other end , reading all these applications , must take ages!

Lilymaid Sat 15-Nov-14 23:40:54

DS2 is at the moment (currently doing an MSc), but he is expecting to be more successful with medium sized firms that tend to recruit later than larger firms. He's doing a course which has good employment prospects at an RG university so someone will want him, surely?

ggirl Sat 15-Nov-14 23:48:26

Expect dd will be applying to medium size firms as well , I'm hoping she'll get a job ,but realistically loads of grads actually don't.....fingers crossed she manages it though.

hoochymama1 Sun 16-Nov-14 12:52:12

Oh, ggirl, glad you have started this. Ds is in third year and has started applying. I want him to do it himself, but dh and I have been helping him tweak cv. Trouble is, hes taken about five years over a three year course due to MH problems. A really good resource is uni careers dept, ds is making an appointment and getting support.
All the best to your dc's grin

Lilymaid Sun 16-Nov-14 13:03:12

Hoochy have you looked at the EmployAbility website - this is specifically for disabled students (including MH problems)? DS2 is eligible to register as he has a chronic health condition but as it is very treatable he has to assess whether or not to declare his disability.

hoochymama1 Sun 16-Nov-14 13:22:14

Thanks Lily, will do.
It is a bit of a dilemma whether to declare these things if conditions are well managed. In my work I declared depression to occy health but not to my managers. That seemed to work well.
Its good for them to apply, and see what happenswink Im trying not to be a helicopter mum, but failing dismallyblush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now