Talk

Advanced search

Mortgage portal refused due to mat leave...discrimination?

(5 Posts)
Molecat29 Tue 11-Nov-14 22:14:56

Hi all, we have had our portal of existing mortgage refused due to myself being on maternity leave. Even though we have made a 40 grand profit on our existing house and porting to a cheaper house! This smacks of discrimination to me, as they are refusing to take my maternity pay into account, because they think I might not return to work, which is ridiculous ( not many people can afford to not go back can they?!) and surely anyone is at risk from losing their job at anytime. Surely companies should have the foresight to appreciate that people have families?
Has anyone had any success in arguing against these decisions, or have any advice at all? The company is charging us a leaving fee of over four thousand pounds!
Cheers
xxx

Bridezilla3521 Thu 13-Nov-14 09:52:28

Hi there

I had this issue when we bought out house a few months ago while I was on mat leave. I ended up having to get proof from my employer that I was going back to work at x hours per week with x pay. I was due back within 2 months and was actually back in work by the time the sale had completed.

I also had to increase my hours slightly as they said we wouldn't be able to afford mortgage hmm even though the mortgage was cheaper than what we were paying at the time.

It was an unsettling time but we got there in the end.

Would your employer be able to provide you with proof of return date, hours and pay etc?

maggiethemagpie Fri 14-Nov-14 20:14:54

Yes - it is discriminatory, but - afaik it is legal. Like when people with disabilities get refused life cover or critical illness cover.

I don't think mortgage providers have the same duty to not discriminate on the grounds of maternity/pregnancy as do employers.

I don't really see why this is an employment issue as it's not your employer who'd doing anything wrong....not sure why you posted in this section.

I agree that morally it is totally wrong though.

LIG1979 Sat 15-Nov-14 18:26:10

I had a similar issue whilst on maternity leave and got my employer to write a letter confirming I worked for them and my pay.

It is a silly argument as yes you may not return from maternity leave but you could also quit your job at any point too and that isn't considered a risk normally.

Molecat29 Thu 11-Dec-14 14:32:16

Hi everyone, major date!
I went to the equality support advice service who gave me LOADs of different ways I could tackle it , citing the equality act etc. so wrote a letter to mortgage company saying that it was discrimination because of x, y and z, and that the financial ombudsman were receiving all of the info too. The mortgage company phoned a week later apologising, offering portal or waive of the ERC!
So, do not accept it if it happens to you, it is discrimination and they are terrified when you say it alongside the ombudsman!
Thanks for all your advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now