Talk

Advanced search

Help Please! Repaying Training fees

(8 Posts)
MeAndPiglet Mon 10-Nov-14 16:58:09

Hi all, please can someone advise: if your training contract says you may be liable to repay a portion of training costs if you leave the company...what is that portion likely to be? And do companies usually enforce this?
Have been offered a dream job but have had quite a lot of training this year, and have no capital to repay it...can't ask HR without suggesting I might be leaving, but equally can't afford to leave if it's going to be thousands! Anyone have any experience/advice to share?

hamptoncourt Mon 10-Nov-14 20:39:06

OK, you have t have actually SIGNED something saying you will repay the training fees. Also, they should be on a sliding scale or it seen as a penalty fr leaving the company.

WHat have you signed and what did it specifically say?

If you have signed something saying you will repay some of the fees then they might enforce it. They cannot just deduct it from your wages though unless the contract specifically says the amount can be deducted from your pay.

Hope this helps.

MeAndPiglet Mon 10-Nov-14 21:05:59

Thank you Hampton....I didn't sign anything specific it just stipulates in the company t&c`s that the company reserve the right to claim back money for recent training courses. There is a table with an indication of fees, for example it suggests the course I did in January would cost me 30%of the course fee...which means training I had in September would cripple me financially.
It's tricky cos I can't ask about it in case they wouldn't have remembered to charge me but I can't resign if they are likely to enforce it as I wouldn't be able to afford it! What if the amount is greater than your last month's salary....?
Thanks for taking the time..I really appreciate the input :-)

mineswine Mon 10-Nov-14 21:20:52

I agree with Hampton. I have worked in hr and we didn't claw back training costs but did claw back exam fees and professional qualifications for exams that weren't required by our regulator. And
then we had to draw up a contract which set out costs and sliding scale of time limits. We often had new employers picking up the cost for employees leaving so maybe broach with new employer.

A couple of things, are you in a union that could advise or ring acas. And regulatory training or essential to do your work sho

mineswine Mon 10-Nov-14 21:23:21

Sorry, posted too soon. Basically sounds a bit iffy if they haven't given you the costs and do you know if it is something they regularly enforce. I imagine they have to be consistent in their approach.

EBearhug Mon 10-Nov-14 21:27:55

In a previous job, we were expected to pay back full fees on any course taken in the last 6 months, according to my contract. I hadn't been on any training that recently when I resigned, so I don't know if they held anyone to it.

flowery Mon 10-Nov-14 21:48:57

I can't imagine something that vague would stand up. If they're going to claw back, you need to know before you agree to the training exactly what fees might be clawed back, how much that is and on what scale/under what circumstances.

MeAndPiglet Tue 11-Nov-14 17:05:18

Thanks all...gonna bite the bullet and speak to our HR.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now