Talk

Advanced search

Leaving without working notice?

(10 Posts)
stihlhere Sat 08-Nov-14 20:58:49

I'm currently in a temp role which ends in January. I'm very unhappy in this role as it's not my chosen field of work but it came up at the right time and the hours suited.

Last week I started applying for jobs again in my field. I was rung on Friday by an agency regarding one of the roles. She has spoken with the company and they are keen for me to interview early next week. It's a full time role where I'm looking at PT but they are offering to support my professional qualifications and the salary is more like a new qualified salary. Although I wasn't looking to go back FT yet I don't think an opportunity like this will come up again.

The main problem is the role is an immediate start. I don't need my current role to provide a reference, but I don't think I could just walk out on a job although I'd love to. My manager is horrible and undermining my confidence. Apparently she has form and I'm her newest victim.

What are the repercussions for leaving a job without giving the required notice?. I honestly think my manager would be glad to see the back of me.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 08-Nov-14 21:02:17

You can resign and leave straight away. I work for a FTSE 100 and it happens sometimes . You may not get a reference but if you are clear with new employer and it doesn't affect your new job should be fine.

stihlhere Sat 08-Nov-14 21:38:30

Thank you. It's not something I would normally do and I still have to get through the interview but good to know it's doable.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 08-Nov-14 21:51:52

Good luck !

ismellonehugerat Sat 08-Nov-14 22:47:05

I would give a week's notice and tell them that you don't want to leave your current employer in the lurch. Most employers will wait a week and it reflects better on you IMO.

Waimaz Sun 09-Nov-14 03:33:16

I just asked straight after i gave my notice if i could finish immediately, they knew i had a new job, they said yes, i imagine they didnt expect me to want to hang around after i had told them i had a new job, as this wouldnt benefit either parties.

I would be up front and honest xx

stihlhere Sun 09-Nov-14 08:25:33

Thank you everyone. Not sure going back FT at the moment is viable just such an amazing opportunity.

LIZS Sun 09-Nov-14 08:30:24

ime "immediate start" doesn't mean next day or even week as they will do references etc. What is your notice period ?

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 09-Nov-14 10:29:46

You are only being interviewed next week - don't get carried away!

Immediate start usually means after references etc.

As soon as you have an unconditional contract in your hand, then give your week's notice. Tell the new employer when you can start.

If they really want you immediately, go see your supervisor and say that it is evident that they do not like you so you are happy to walk now if you get paid your notice period. Have a letter of resignation in your hand.

stihlhere Sun 09-Nov-14 12:04:38

Notice period is standard four weeks. I'm sure if I was lucky enough to get through the interview process it would be a couple of weeks.

The role is a step up from what I have previously done so I would definitely need to wow them and I'm not great in interviews.

If nothing else it's given me the boot I needed to get my study books out again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now