Talk

Advanced search

Thinking about applying for a job but unsure what to do about referees

(2 Posts)
Thrif Sat 08-Nov-14 14:10:42

I pretty happy where I am, wasn't really looking for a new job but chanced upon an ad for a job that sounds perfect for me.

It's a big step up for me and whilst I will approach it all positively, I probably don't have a great chance of getting it. I'm thinking of applying to see what happens and as a reason to make me get my CV up to date.

However, they want 2 referees, one of which must be current employer. I know safeguarding procedures mean they usually request references before interview, so it is possible that they could ask my current employer even if I don't get the job. I really don't want them to do that. My boss is generally nice enough but this is the sort of "disloyalty" that can really affect her dealings with people. She's great to work for when she likes you but you don't want to get on the wrong side of her IYSWIM.

So, If I don't give her details but say I'll provide them should I be successful, will that rule me out as a candidate?

If I give them but ask them not to approach her unless I'm successful how likely is it that they'd accidently send out the request in line with their standard procedure?

I don't want to just put her details down and hope for the best because it seems rude to do so without asking her if she'll be a referee IYSWIM, but I don't want to tell her I've applied unless I get at least a decent way through the process. WWYD?

LIZS Sat 08-Nov-14 16:04:14

There is normally a box to tick where you can ask not to contact current employer until later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now