Talk

Advanced search

Phased return to work....

(9 Posts)
Itsjustanotherday Thu 06-Nov-14 19:20:30

After 7 weeks off work, I returned on Monday. However, it's clear I'm struggling with the culture shock of being back. For this reason, my manager suggested a phased return to work today, which would mean, starting from tomorrow, I'd go home at lunchtime. This would result in me losing 1 hour 15 minutes a day.
In the discussion, for some reason it completely slipped my mind to ask about pay! Would my pay most likely be docked each day for that hour and 15 mins?

ThermoLobster Thu 06-Nov-14 21:11:23

I had an employee on a phased return who received full salary for working part time hours for a number of weeks. I think though, but not completely sure, that this will be down to your employers' policy as opposed to a legal matter. Do you work for a big company with a union?

bendybrickpumpkinpatch Thu 06-Nov-14 21:13:44

If its a phased return as agreed by your manager or HR department you should receive full pay.
The nhs do a two week phased return stage of week one 50% of hours week two 75% of hours then back full hours. All on full pay.

CurlyWurlyCake Thu 06-Nov-14 21:15:32

Salary stays the same where I work.

The amount of time is agreed as a trail with welfare meetings in between.

It's in alls interest to get you fit and well to be able to work the hours you were originally contracted to do.

Could you maybe do your hours In a different department they may be less demanding?

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 06-Nov-14 21:15:34

I had full pay during my phased return. My boss was clear that if someone else would have to be employed to cover me though then I wouldn't have been. (Small charity)

optimistmum Thu 06-Nov-14 21:20:42

My employer would pay your full salary if you would be entitled to full pay if you remained off work (better to have someone working some of the time if they are able than the employee getting full pay to do no work!)

flowery Thu 06-Nov-14 22:00:55

It doesn't make any difference whether it's agreed by HR or managers or anything. You are not entitled to be paid for hours you don't work unless there is something in your contract or a policy saying so. It might depend how much of a reduction in hours it actually is, how long the reduction is going to be for, whether the alternative is you not coming back at all, and what sick pay you would be on if you stayed off.

Itsjustanotherday Fri 07-Nov-14 19:46:14

Thanks everyone for the replies. I wasn't able to find my manager today to ask her, but I went home at lunchtime as planned, and hopefully I'll be able to catch up with her on Monday and ask.

Behoove Fri 07-Nov-14 19:49:06

I'm on a phased return just now, on full pay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now