Talk

Advanced search

Flexible working appeal tips?

(4 Posts)
MrsMaker83 Thu 06-Nov-14 18:50:30

I had my part time request refused and have my appeal coming up.

Im crap at formal meetings, i clam up, struggle to find words to answer questions although i know in my mind what I'm trying to say, i end up feeling embarrassed and even more nervous. This is how my original request meeting went.

Are there many people out there who have had the decision overturned?

Also, if given the right to take a colleague along are they allowed to join in with parts of the discussion?
I intend to take a good friend in, who would most definitely give me a confidence boost and help me explain things. (They do the same job and have a good understanding of my situation) Or are they expected to keep quiet?

Im really nervous sad x

Toucanet Fri 07-Nov-14 00:39:18

Hi, sorry if your employer does't have a policy clearly explaining all this. Mine does but off the top of my head I can't recall the detail. Generally with this sort of thing I think you are allowed to take a union rep or trusted colleague in with you but not sure if they are allowed to speak on your behalf. (Not, in disciplinary cases I think, but this might be different - even if they weren't though, I agree it would probably help you to have a friendly face and another pair of ears there supporting you, might be less likely to get nervous yourself)?
If they won't agree to it as a permanent change, could it be worth suggesting that you trial such an arrangement for x months, if you've not already? Good luck!

StupidFlanders Fri 07-Nov-14 03:44:26

I have no idea what kind of work you do, could you suggest job sharing? That's what I did and they're happy someone's always around.

flowery Fri 07-Nov-14 08:52:19

The entitlement to bring a colleague is no longer a statutory one, although a sensible employer would still allow employees to be accompanied as they are expected to follow a "reasonable" procedure. Because it's no longer a statutory entitlement, their role in the meeting will be down to the employer. Your companion should be allowed to confer with you during the meeting but I wouldn't assume your employer will be happy if they start playing a very active role in discussions, or answering questions. It's your meeting.

In terms of tip for an appeal, it very much depends on the nature of the request and the reasons it was declined in the first place. Can you share?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now