Talk

Advanced search

Role 'split' during leave - should I have done anything?

(7 Posts)
Echocave Thu 06-Nov-14 01:28:56

I work in large professional firm. Been there a long time. Mid-way through my maternity leave (of a year which I know is a long time for my boss to put up with) he tells me he has recruited someone to cover some of the areas I was responsible for.

In truth, I covered a lot and this may assist. Boss adamant there is no ulterior motive (I was blunt and asked), he just thinks he needs additional person. This person started some time ago and will be installed when I return from leave just before Xmas. No mention of changing my hours or pay.

My question is whether what he has done is ok or if I've taken my eye off the ball on this (not that I could've stopped it)? The role is to an extent 'fluid' so it's not like I'm losing E.g. Management of a team but I am losing key areas. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Damntheclockchange Thu 06-Nov-14 06:27:07

I think if you were bothered, then the way to deal with it might be to make a case that the new person should report to you. Then you could delegate to them as appropriate and still have control over all the aspects your job used to include. If you still have the bigger/more responsible of the two jobs then I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to suggest.

But I'm afraid I have no idea of the legalities.

HappyAsASandboy Thu 06-Nov-14 06:47:47

The legalities are different depending on whether you return within 6 months or after 6 months.

If you return within 6 months, your employer must give you your job back, if it still exists. If it doesn't still exist, then they must give you a job that is equivalent, which would include things like pay, hours, level of responsibility, status, prospects etc.

If you return after longer than 6 months, you have no right to your old job at all. Your employer must give you a job that is equivalent, which would include things like pay, hours, level of responsibility, status, prospects etc.

The details are very clearly explained about half way down the page on gov.uk

Echocave Thu 06-Nov-14 10:24:20

Thank you both. I'm returning after a year. I doubt I can do anything because I will have the same hours and pay but my responsibility will be reduced. However, because of the way work is dished out and undertaken, it's not necessarily that clear cut. I guess I just think they've fudged it and my boss should have called a spade a spade (ie I am now job sharing). As that would have legal ramifications I suppose he didn't want to.

Bellossom Thu 06-Nov-14 10:26:44

They can change your job after six months. I'm guessing they should have to tell you before you decide to take it though?

Echocave Thu 06-Nov-14 10:34:50

Yes I see that they can change it after six months. However my boss told me at a chat before I went on leave that he was trying to recruit an additional person for the same role and job title as me. I don't think he gave any real thought to the impact on me (which I understand as he's under pressure and these places are very dog eat dog despite waffly public declarations of collegiate working) or the fact that my role is now being shared.

Echocave Sun 09-Nov-14 01:32:19

Bump - in case anyone had any other thoughts? I'm just trying to work out what is actually happening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now