Talk

Advanced search

Should I tell employment agency I'm pregnant?

(5 Posts)
catsofa Mon 03-Nov-14 14:08:58

I've got an interview with an employment agency tomorrow for a job I think I want. I'm nearly 15 weeks pregnant. Should I tell them?

I don't think this job will have any implications for the pregnancy other than that I may start to find it difficult to do some of the less sociable hours at some point later on, and obviously I'll be leaving in April or possibly a bit earlier. Bump is not too big so I think I could hide it for the interview, but I don't think it'll be too long now before I start to look suspiciously round in the middle.

I think agencies tend to try to match you with other jobs too, so I might get offered loads of care work because of my previous experience, which I'm not keen to do while pregnant as it's very physical. If I don't tell them at this interview then I'll probably have to keep making excuses not to take jobs that otherwise look like a good fit, which will make me look like an awkward client that they'll stop offering work to. But will it damage my chance of getting any job with them at all if I let them know about the pregnancy from the beginning?

holeinmyheart Mon 03-Nov-14 14:42:22

Morally you should tell them. However what about letting them see how well you do the job for a couple of weeks and then tell them?
As you say it is no good thinking that pregnancy does not make any difference to people's attitude because it just does.
They will find it harder to forget about you when they know you. If you tell them you are pregnant now they may well offer you nothing.
Xx best of luck

maggiethemagpie Mon 03-Nov-14 20:59:04

I wouldn't tell them because if I did not get a job I would never know if it was because of the pregnancy or because of my skills. And the not knowing would drive me crazy.

I would tell them at offer stage if you feel you have to, but not at interview stage.

catsofa Mon 03-Nov-14 21:27:26

OK, I think I'll see if I get this job and then if I don't and the agency keep offering me other things then I'll tell them and hope they can find me something suitable.

Also just realised I have nothing to wear - the bump no longer fits in the smart trousers I was keeping for interview wear! Interview is at 10:30 tomorrow morning. Arg!

catsofa Tue 04-Nov-14 21:52:13

OK I've had to rearrange the interview for tomorrow as I had absolutely nothing to wear. Think I'll manage now just about.

Further contact with the agency does seem to indicate that it will be an interview for the agency NOT just an interview for the post I wanted though, so I'm again undecided about telling them I am pregnant. They want to know what work I'm looking for and what my circumstances are so they can match me with jobs, but they're not going to be able to do that well at all if I don't let on. It'll be quite a big waste of time if I don't just say - really not sure now what to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now