Talk

Advanced search

Professional Body Membership

(22 Posts)
WipsGlitter Mon 03-Nov-14 14:08:33

I'm looking at a job application and one of the desirable criteria is membership of a relevant professional body. It's not something that you have be registered with to do the job, it's mainly used for networking and the odd training event. Lots and lots of people who do my job will not be members. It's also expensive to be a member, over £150 per year.

Do you think that it's unfair they are asking for this? It sort of penalises people who are in a low paid job, trying to move up the ladder and who can't manage the cost but would be able to do the job.

QuintsTombWithAWiew Mon 03-Nov-14 14:13:26

My professional body is tied in with CPD - I have to log that I am doing either further training in my field, or partake in events that extends my knowledge. I need to clock 30 hours every year beyond my professional qualifications. Do you think that is why they ask this?

StrangeGlue Mon 03-Nov-14 14:15:05

Hmmm seems odd though a lot of voluntary placements require professional body membership so then you're incurring expense to work for free so I'm not hugely surprised

lyndie Mon 03-Nov-14 14:18:44

Can you not claim back in your tax return? Most professional subscriptions for me are tax deductible.

WipsGlitter Mon 03-Nov-14 14:32:22

No CPD requirements in my "industry".

Yes, it probably could be claimed back but lots of people won't know that.

It just seems unfair people would be ruled out because they couldn't afford something.

flowery Mon 03-Nov-14 14:38:00

"Lots and lots of people who do my job will not be members."

What about people who do the job you are applying to do?

You say it's a desirable criteria, not essential? I can't see the problem to be honest.

WipsGlitter Mon 03-Nov-14 14:52:38

I was merely opening it up for discussion flowery - no need to get testy! I just think it's unfair that because you can't afford it you get ruled out. I'm 99% they will have to go to desirable in the shortlisting.

The people applying to do the job are people who do my job - it's totally the same job/field just a different organisation.

flowery Mon 03-Nov-14 14:55:28

Testy? confused

Well if asking a question and giving an opinion counts as "testy" I'm not sure this is the discussion for me. I'm sure lots of others will be along to say it's outrageous and unfair.

WipsGlitter Mon 03-Nov-14 15:00:11

Sorry, your post just came across as a bit dismissive.

3littlefrogs Mon 03-Nov-14 15:04:38

Most professional jobs require membership of the appropriate organisation, which is expected to be funded by the individual.

Without knowing what job you are talking about it is difficult to have an opinion.

I had to continue to pay my professional fees even when I was not working - just to stay on the register. I think that is the case for most people.

WipsGlitter Mon 03-Nov-14 15:06:21

It's not a job where you have to be registered to 'practise', it's not like social work or medicine.

Heels99 Mon 03-Nov-14 15:09:32

What organisation is it, I think it makes a difference

Heels99 Mon 03-Nov-14 15:11:24

Employers normally pay the professional fees anyway where it is a requirement for the job

QuintsTombWithAWiew Mon 03-Nov-14 15:11:30

Probably membership of a professional body shows enthusiasm for the field of work or industry (whatever that is)

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 03-Nov-14 15:17:56

I get cheaper professional insurance because of my membership of a professional body. I can't think of anyone in my profession who wouldn't know you can claim back professional fees via tax return confused

I also can't see the problem. It's desirable not essential and is probably linked to CPD requirements of the organisation or the insurance thing.

WipsGlitter Mon 03-Nov-14 15:20:35

It's third sector public relations. It is not necessary to be a member of the professional body to do the job, I only know two contemporaries who are members the rest are not. Third sector organisations do not have the cash for this type of thing unfortunately. It's mainly networking and training, but you can go to the events even if you are not a member confused.

ThreeBecameFour Tue 04-Nov-14 17:11:20

If you mean the Institute of Fundraising I don't think it matters if you are or aren't a member. I have worked in the sector for 15 years and as a Head of Dept it never mattered if people are or aren't members in an application process. A nice to have but not an essential.

WipsGlitter Tue 04-Nov-14 17:16:56

No it's the CIPR. But it's the same thing, nice to have but not essential!

I don't need to have mine to do my job, but I do keep it going because it helps keep me up to date with developments in my field, encourages me to do CPD and gives me letters after my name <shallow>.

Try looking at it the other way round, do you think it's fair on those that have prioritised paying for it and presumably doing the CPD etc if it gives no benefit in the job market?

WipsGlitter Tue 04-Nov-14 17:34:07

Good point!

I have been developing my skills just not in a formal way!

3littlefrogs Tue 04-Nov-14 17:36:07

Heels99 - if only that were true.
The NHS doesn't pay my RCN fees, nor my NMC registration fees.

3littlefrogs Tue 04-Nov-14 17:40:28

Also - you can't claim these things back via tax returns, you are allowed to put them down as expenses and then you don't pay tax on that portion of your income. The total amount of money you save is peanuts quite different.

Generally speaking though I think in the long run it is good to be a member of a professional body and be able to show that you have kept your education and development up to speed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now