Talk

Advanced search

Part time TAs and Bank Holidays

(20 Posts)
ALurgidBee Sun 02-Nov-14 22:34:32

What do part-time TAs do about BHs, if they are contracted for, say, 3days/week and one of those days is normally a Monday?

hollie84 Sun 02-Nov-14 22:35:48

I'm not sure I understand the question?

Finola1step Sun 02-Nov-14 22:36:35

You don't go to work

ilovepowerhoop Sun 02-Nov-14 22:40:52

They should already have been taken into account when calculating your holiday entitlement

ALurgidBee Sun 02-Nov-14 22:54:40

But how could they be taken into account when calculating holiday? Everyone is entitled to BH plus Xnumber of days holiday.

Say George works Mon, Tue, Wed, and Jenny works Tue, Wed, Thur. They have the same level of training and experience, and are both contracted for 18h/week, so start on the same salary.

Does that mean that George ends up earning the same salary as Jenny, but having worked 2-3 days fewer because of the BHs?

Come to think of it, term rarely starts on a Mon or ends on a Fri, so George would work even fewer days than Jenny.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 03-Nov-14 07:15:43

Everyone is entitled to the equivalent of 5.6 weeks holiday and employers can include the bank holidays in that allowance (some give the bank holidays in addition to that, some don't). There is no actual entitlement to get bank holidays e.g. My dh doesn't get bank holidays off and would need to book them as holidays if be wants to be off on that day

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights/entitlement.

sanfairyanne Mon 03-Nov-14 07:21:59

dont know but interested to know the answer

in most jobs they come out of your holiday entitlement so you get 0.5 of bank holidays as well and have to pay back money or take them out of normal holiday if you end up with more than that

TinyPawz Mon 03-Nov-14 07:25:07

When I worked pt (wed-fri) I was paid prorata for bh so 3/5th of days pay.

Jennifersrabbit Mon 03-Nov-14 07:31:37

In the NHS you get your normal annual leave allowance plus a bank holiday entitlement - 8x8 hours for full timers and pro rata for part timers. Then if you have a bank holiday off you have to book it as annual leave even if office is shut. So someone who works Mondays would get a BH Monday off but would have to deduct it from Annual leave/BH allowance. Someone who works Tuesdays-Thursdays wouldn't and could use the bank Hol allowance elsewhere.

Hope that makes sense - makes my head hurt! I don't quite see how you would apply it in education though, as TAs usually on term time contracts and not taking annual leave?

DrownedGirl Mon 03-Nov-14 07:44:38

TAs usually are paid something like this

Work 39 weeks inc inset days
Annual leave and bank holidays - say 26 days plus 8 days plus 2 occasional so 36 days x 39/52.14
Equals 27 days pro rata - 5w 2d

So paid for 39w plus 5w 2d
44w 2 days is 27 days x .6

Pay equals full time annual salary x 44.3/52.14 - 84.59% (assumes works 35 hours - reduced further if works 30 hours, eg)

For a TA who is .4 or .6 , the calculations are all pro rata'ed down

So work 39w x.6
Annual leave and bh is 27 days x .6

Etc etc

Actually entitlements vary slightly in different schools, and if you gave extra long service leave

You can ask for it to be worked out.

Because the leave inc bh is already pro rata'ed re weeks worked, it's easy to pro rata it further for .6, say

That means a 3 day Pw employee gets 3/5 of annual leave plus 3/5 of bank hols

If you think about it, TAs aren't in school for any of the bank hols anyway - Christmas, new year, August. But the pay formula does pay for them

DrownedGirl Mon 03-Nov-14 07:46:15

Sorry was a typo

44w 2 days is 27 days x .6

Should read

44w 2 days

ALurgidBee Mon 03-Nov-14 08:32:52

Clearly I need caffeine breakfast, because I do not understand!

I did not know about the bank holidays. I've been a SAHM since the last century. In all my previous FT jobs I had minimum statutory AL + BH + anything extra the company wanted to give. And in all my PT jobs you got double time for working BH. Has the law changed, or was I just lucky?

I really can't get my head around this. What it boils down to, I suppose, is do PT TAs who work Mondays get a better deal than those who don't, or do they have to either get paid less or work an extra day to make up for the Mondays when the school was closed?

DrownedGirl Mon 03-Nov-14 08:35:28

TAs all get their fair share of leave and bank holidays, whether they usually work 5 days per week or 1 day per week

sanfairyanne Mon 03-Nov-14 08:41:19

using drowned girls stats it looks like a better idea to work mondays as you work less days over the year

actually though, remember most bank holidays are in school holudays anyway. so everyone is off anyway.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 03-Nov-14 08:47:16

maybe you were just lucky in previous jobs. You will get the same basic leave as others but some of your holidays will already be allocated for you (if bank holidays are included as part of your basic holiday entitlement).

bloodyteenagers Mon 03-Nov-14 09:06:07

Off hand we get one bank holiday or maybe two, that's in term time.
Everyone roughly gets the same, I say roughly because it depends on the number of hours and the pay scale you are on.
You wouldn't get double in BH because well, the school will be closed. No you don't get paid less for the BH nor do you have to work an extra day.

bloodyteenagers Mon 03-Nov-14 09:07:31

Oh and you don't get AL. This has already been allocated in your wages.

hollie84 Mon 03-Nov-14 09:08:42

BH come out of your annual leave, so I guess if you get one less in term time you get paid for one more day in the holidays.

Losingmyreligion Mon 03-Nov-14 09:16:18

I left a job in a school office 2 years ago. Just before I left this question came up and the Council did come up with a formula to make it fair for everyone, but for the life of me I can't remember how it worked. It was a fair formula though. I'm going for an interview this week for a 3 day a week job and was thinking I need to find out how it works.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 03-Nov-14 09:38:05

the link I put above has a link to calculate holiday entitlement. Its basically whatever you work x 5.6 e.g. if you work 3 days your holidays would be 3 x 5.6 = 16.8 days entitlement per year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now