Talk

Advanced search

going to interview - if offered a job - will need to move - dilemma - young family one kid in school

(6 Posts)
musicmusic Sat 01-Nov-14 11:02:02

Pros:
- this is step up role for me
- stimulating work environment ( seems to be)
- with the position, i will be able to look for the next step in my career, add more credibility to my CV,
- need a change - so that would be a real change for place to leave, work etc
- money - i guess the position will have a bigger salary than what I have now

Cons
- My daughter in school now - just started, so she will need to start the school ( and there is a school with the place nearby where I would move to work). I think kids are small so will probably slot in.
- My husband earns half what I earn, so if the salary is even better what I earn now - that is already a plus? I suggest my husband then tries to a) negotiate with his present work to do bulk hours ( for example 3 days to live where we live now) and the rest of teh week - with me and kids. UNTIL he find a new job near we wodul woudl live
- have to build the community ties ( at the moment we have friends, parents nearby, parents community - parents we know from school)

My consideration:
1. we are renting now and not tied in to the mortgage, so can move.

2. I think if go for the job and start in March - I would just rent in the area myself to see if I get on ok with the job etc and then move kids and family in summer? this woudl allow some breathing space and gentler transition.

3. it is quite a unique position that I woudl interview for - special niche for me and what I like doing, it is rare for this type of position to come up...

musicmusic Sat 01-Nov-14 11:06:03

sorry the full message is here:

The job really attracted me as good position Will attend interview and if offered - will need to move ( 2 hours away from where we live now),

Pros:
- this is step up role for me
- stimulating work environment ( seems to be)
- with the position, i will be able to look for the next step in my career, add more credibility to my CV,
- need a change - so that would be a real change for place to leave, work etc
- money - i guess the position will have a bigger salary than what I have now

Cons
- My older daughter in school now - just started, so she will need to start the school ( and there is a school with the place nearby where I would move to work). I think kids are small so will probably slot in.
- My husband earns half what I earn, so if the salary is even better what I earn now - that is already a plus? I suggest my husband then tries to a) negotiate withhis present work to do bulk hours ( for example 3 days to live where we live now) and the rest of teh week - with me and kids. UNTIL he find a new job near we wodul woudl live
- have to build the community ties ( at the moment we have friends, parents nearby, parents community - parents we know from school)

My consideration:
1. we are renting now and not tied in to the mortage, so can move.

2. I think if go for the job and start in March - I would just rent in the area myself to see if I get on ok with the job etc and then move kids and family in summer? this woudl allow some breating space and gentler transition.

3. it is quite a unique position that I woudl interveiw for - special niche for me and what I like doing, it is rare for this type of position to come up...

Please let me know your thoughts - woudl really appreciate it.

thank you all!

MamaMed Sat 01-Nov-14 12:38:11

The only thing that would make me not take the job is moving away from family and friends. How much time do you spend with them? How much do you lean on them?

Also, more importantly, what does your husband think?

I would think about all of this after you've been offered the job smile

flowery Sat 01-Nov-14 15:35:21

How far away is it from family/friends?

musicmusic Sat 01-Nov-14 15:44:49

2 hours drive...from my family/ friends but actually do not have MANY firends... as I moved to this area not long time ago...My hb sayd he does not know until I try... so he does not say NO but is cared as well to say YES straight away

EBearhug Sat 01-Nov-14 21:23:19

Your daughter has only just started school, so I don't think that's such an issue. It'd be different if it were an exam year. I think moving the family in the summer is a good idea - I have friends who moved back home this summer. At least it's where we grew up, but the children had never lived there - they had been living about 2.5 hours away, but saw the grandparents in the holidays. They seem to be settling in well, though. They did wait till the summer hols though, which is a sort of transitory time of year anyway, school-wise.

I think the main issue is going to be your husband and how flexible his current job will be, and how easy it will be for him to find another job - which might be easy or may not - it will depend on the field he works in and where you are in the country, I guess.

But none of this is insurmountable. Just make sure if you've any particular questions directly related to the job, be it hours, flexibility or whatever, if it hasn't come up during the interview, ask them when they ask at the end if there's anything you want to know. Interviews are two-way things. Make sure it's the job you want and expect it to be.

Your husband is right - you don't know until you try, and until you've been interviewed and offered it, you have no decision to make anyway. If nothing else, it's always useful to get interview practice, and if you don't get it or don't take it, it should give you a clearer idea about what you do for the next interview.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now