Talk

Advanced search

Should I go freelance.

(5 Posts)
mar33 Thu 30-Oct-14 18:14:27

First time I've posted on mumsnet.

I have recently started a new fulltime job (8 weeks in ) from working part time but I'm coming to realise that the job is not for me. The team are fantastic and really nice but the amount of work I'm expected to do is daunting.
I have also increased my travelling time to work and now my hubby is having to do lots more when it comes to picking up the children and the house.
I feel really guilty and I miss my children terribly.
My question is should I stay in the job or should I go freelance and try and get work to fit in around my home life.
The company I work for has good pay, great holidays and plenty of training but I just don't think the area I'm working in is as interesting as I thought it would be. With the darker nights setting I'm not looking forward to the long journeys home either.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 31-Oct-14 00:56:51

Firstly I would suggest that 8 weeks isn't really long enough to test the role. I would give it a little longer...

I freelance. I have just finished for the night and I will be working most of this weekend. I do have some flexibility (I intend to take DS to karate next week on a 'work' day) but I also need to work when the work is there.

Most of the freelancers I know are generally over worked!

Do you know what the freelance work in your field is like? Could you find out? Maybe ask on the MN Freelance board?

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 31-Oct-14 00:59:21

What is the issue about your DH needing to do more re childcare/around the house? He doesn't like it? You don't like it?

Seems fair (from the outside) if you are both full time....

mar33 Fri 31-Oct-14 09:27:58

Thanks for the advice. I think I just need to give it more of a chance like you mentioned. My previous role I had more flexibility because I could work from home in the evening so was able to do the day to day chores and pick up the kids from school. My hubby doesn't mind doing the chores I think I just need to get used to him doing it.

PeppermintInfusion Fri 31-Oct-14 14:06:38

Can you see what your company's hr policies are like for flexible working etc? eg you might be able to WFH one day a week once you've been there a while

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now