Advanced search

P45 issues

(8 Posts)
oneflewoutofthecrazynest Wed 20-Aug-14 12:54:10

Hi, i was just wondering do employers still have to give employees a traditional 4 part P45 when they leave? My last employer just gave an A4 sheet of paper with my details and code printed on it, when i asked for a proper 4 part P45 they refused and said that is what the HMRC have told them to give out as you do not need the old 4 part one, the HMRC website says i do though? Spent over 20 min on hold to HMRC to ask and gave up, last employer is not budging, who is right? I would email HMRC but cannot find an appropriate email address sad

Ellypoo Wed 20-Aug-14 13:28:49

That's not correct - employers still need to give the full P45 to an employee who has left.

Call HMRC on 0300 200 3300, but it's pretty clear: 'make sure you get a form P45 from your employer when you leave. Your employer should automatically give you a P45 when you stop working for them. If not, ask for it - you're entitled to it by law. If you start a new job you'll need to give your P45 to your new employer. They'll use it to work out your tax.'

Ellypoo Wed 20-Aug-14 13:29:34

Demand one from your employer, and tell them that you are entitled to a full one by law.

oneflewoutofthecrazynest Wed 20-Aug-14 13:41:08

Thank you for the quick response! I did think it sounded wrong but they are adament they will not give me the full P45 just a print off as that is new HMRC rules but i could not find the change anywhere on the HMRC website. Will i have to report them to HMRC? Will try and call the number provided. Thank you again.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 20-Aug-14 18:24:11

If you check the HMRC website for stationary it will tell you that the 3part P45 are one of only two forms that you still need to order from HMRC and not just print off.
It is well hidden in as I say the 'stationary' section!

notaflamingclue Thu 21-Aug-14 09:56:37

Umm. I no longer have to order P45s. Some payroll packages will print off the whole form.

oneflewoutofthecrazynest Thu 21-Aug-14 10:16:36

Thank you for the advice everyone, i spoke to HMRC, yes i am supposed to get one, called back employer and they said no then turns out they thought i was saying i wanted the original information or that i had some part of the form already. After explaining again to them that i have none of it and require the full P45 the penny dropped and they will send it out. Stress over think i need some brew Thank you again for all the advice smile

Ellypoo Thu 21-Aug-14 12:10:30

Glad you have got it sorted out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now