Talk

Advanced search

Does this seem fair to you?

(12 Posts)
Mynxie Wed 02-Apr-14 21:02:08

My 21yr old son has been working in a claims office for the past year. It's a very busy workplace and his role is mainly advising clients in stressful situations mostly by phone. There is also a lot of associated paperwork. He works Mon-Fri 9-5 with an hour for lunch. He has been educated to degree level.

I know and appreciate that he is lucky to have a job at all, however I can't help feeling he is being taken advantage of as his annual salary is £12k.

He is afraid to ask for a pay rise as he thinks they might just tell him to leave if he's not happy, and he really wants to work.

Surely £12000 is not a living wage these days? Or is he expecting too much?

EBearhug Wed 02-Apr-14 21:07:22

I assume he gets annual reviews and objectives anyway. But I would start with asking for a meeting with his manager, and say that he'd like to just review things, as he's been there a year. Can he put a case together about why he should get more? Does he do anything above and beyond his basic job description? If they don't currently think he deserves a payrise, what more does he need to do, and can they give him the opportunities to achieve what would be needed?

I doubt they'd tell him to leave, but they might just say no payrise. He won't know till he's given it a shot, though.

Treasa24 Wed 02-Apr-14 21:16:08

That is a very low wage - yes, he should ask for a review and make out a case for more. Tell him to focus on the benefit that he brings to the office and, as Ebear says, on whatever he does over and above his basic job. He could ask about opportunities for training and development.

I believe that single people under 25 can't claim tax credits but it may be worth your DS asking the DWP about other benefits to top up his income.

Mynxie Wed 02-Apr-14 21:31:20

Thanks for the prompt replies. Obviously at his age it's all up to him to take whatever action he thinks fit, but I agree with you both in that he has nothing to lose by asking. It's a small office - only 4 workers and a husband and wife owner/manager. 2 of the 4 are off sick this week so he has twice the usual workload. I'm a great believer in the 'just get on with it' school of thought, but it does seem tough on him.

Completely unrelated to the job situation is the fact that his gf is expecting a baby in the summer and they are planning to move in together next month. They were working out their budget this evening and after all bills (and food) will be left with £27.40 to spend between them each month....

AlpacaYourThings Wed 02-Apr-14 21:33:23

Where abouts do you live?

Mynxie Wed 02-Apr-14 21:36:02

North Hampshire

AlpacaYourThings Wed 02-Apr-14 21:39:12

That is a very low salary then, could he look for something similar elsewhere?

In a high street bank he would be on a salary of at least £16k.

Mynxie Wed 02-Apr-14 21:49:24

I just think it's such a shame that young people like him that want to work and build a career for themselves are finding it so hard to find suitable employment, especially if you live some way from a major town/city. There is definitely an element of fear in that once they do find something they know they can be replaced very quickly and easily because there are so many others waiting to take their place. I did think that now the worst of the recession seems to be over things might change, but there is no sign of it around here.

It's so demoralising when you can see that for any start up job there are more that 80 applicants. I guess he really is lucky to have paid employment. He has had regular 3 month appraisals which have all been extremely positive so maybe if he sticks at it things will get better ( though I will advise him to ask for a rise now!)

AlpacaYourThings Wed 02-Apr-14 21:59:46

I think employers are taking advantage as well. I have just recruited two staff the same age as him and their salaries were £19k+ and that is just admin roles.

He should sign up to some recruitment agencies and see what else is available.

Mynxie Wed 02-Apr-14 22:22:33

He's going to ask tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens. He's never once been late or had any time off sick in all the time he's been there.

Thanks for your advice, and it's nice to see that there are good employers out there AlpacaYourThings

If there are any more in the North Hampshire area who need a very conscientious and willing worker (with more reason than most to stay that way) I know someone who would be very interested to hear from you......!

fascicle Thu 03-Apr-14 08:37:51

Hope your son's chat goes well today. By my calculations, he's earning just under £10 more per week than he would on the minimum wage for his age. Hopefully the owners will value him sufficiently to increase his salary and aim to retain him.

Mynxie Thu 03-Apr-14 17:44:42

He did manage to have a chat with his boss today to ask if he could have a pay review. He was told there would be an increase in a few months time but would give no indication of how much it might be.

She said she was aware of his circumstances, but he told her that he didn't want them to be a factor, he was asking because he felt that his work merited it. Anyway, she is going to discuss it with her husband and let him know. So not a yes but not a no either.

I'll let you know if there is an update in the next few days. Thanks for all the support and advice last night, I really was unsure if I was naturally biased in thinking he deserved more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now