Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do I have any right to parity in paid sick leave? Not well and worried about taking time off

(1 Post)
jasperc163 Tue 01-Apr-14 17:53:07

I think the answer is probably no, but i would really appreciate advice from anyone who knows about HR/employment law
I am part of a team of 6 who all do exactly the same job but who were hired between 10yrs and 1yr ago. When I joined my contract said 8weeks full sick pay per year. My colleagues are all on about 6 months but I didnt find this out til a year or so ago. The change was company wide and not to do with me specifically, it was just bad luck that i joined when i did. Since then, we have been tupe'd across to another company, and a colleague who started a year ago with this new company is on 13 weeks sick leave as this is standard policy. So I have been with the company 6years and someone with 1yr has 50% more sick leave,and the rest have considerably more. I realise that i don't have any rights from a tupe point of view but do i have any arguement based on the fact that i am the only one with this punitive sick pay policy?

I have been with the company 6yrs, and proabably taken one day off sick in that time, perform well and meet all my targets etc. However I have been ill with a chronic headache (constant) for 14 months and have somehow managed to continue working (need the money and don't want to lose the job as it is a one off). My company are aware of my situation. I have been seeing consultants but nothing is working so far. I am getting to the point where i am putting so much pressure on myself trying to work (4days a week) and look after 2 young chlildren and feeling that I am not performing at my best at work. Everyone keeps saying i need to take some time off but I am worried about only having 8 weeks at full pay (statutory to 6 months, and I think headaches like this class as a disability but obviously they only have to try to help where they can). I have mentioned the issue to my boss and he says it is at manager's discretion but i dont think this is true and also when push comes to shove i can't rely on that.

Sorry for the essay. I am just so stressed and dont know what to do to try to get better and not lose my job if at all possible.

thank you in advance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now