Talk

Advanced search

What are the rules on having to advertise a job?

(11 Posts)
Illumanting Sat 29-Mar-14 10:16:44

So, if someone had been doing a job for several months on a temporary basis, and due to decisions made elsewhere in the organisation it could now be permanent, what are the rules on advertising? Or is it acceptable to simply make the temporary person permanent? Public sector, but not a council or NHS.

meditrina Sat 29-Mar-14 10:26:43

It needs to be advertised.

There are a few (rare) exceptions (the only one I've come across in RL being the need to appoint the holder of a particular patent), but generally it is more important in making a permanent appointment, as there is flexibility (eg time pressure) when appointing a temp. Of course, if there was a full recruitment procedure for the temp appointment, I can see the temptation to try to do without it now, especially if you have a bar on external recruitment and a limited (and well known) internal candidate pool.

flowery Sat 29-Mar-14 11:05:50

It doesn't need to be advertised legally, no post does, however a public sector organisation may well have an internal policy that requires advertising.

Illumanting Sat 29-Mar-14 11:34:25

Thanks. It must be that we don't have such a policy.

Trooperslane Sat 29-Mar-14 11:46:52

Depends where you are OP

flowery Sat 29-Mar-14 13:17:25

It should be easy to check the internal policy on recruitment OP.

BikeRunSki Sat 29-Mar-14 13:23:39

There are things you can't specify in the ad though. Age, gender and length of experience spring to mind.

legoplayingmumsunite Sat 29-Mar-14 13:36:04

Private Sector don't need to advertise externally but I think most public sector do. My DH works in a University and they have to advertise externally, my Mum is a teacher in Scotland and they have to advertise externally.

OatcakeCravings Sat 29-Mar-14 13:40:47

Public sector jobs do not have to be advertised externally. This may well be a policy within a particular organisation but isn't a legal requirement. I work in the public sector and so a lot of hiring, sometimes we advertise internally only.

Illumanting Sat 29-Mar-14 15:09:36

It was more that I was surprised they didn't need to advertise internally.

flowery Sat 29-Mar-14 15:27:33

Have you checked the policy OP? Do you know they didn't need to advertise internally? There's no legal requirement to as I said, but I would expect public sector organisations to at least require internal advertisement of vacancies.

On the other hand, this may not be seen as a vacancy by the recruitment policy, just as a change to terms and conditions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now