Talk

Advanced search

numpty question but interviews when you have a job

(5 Posts)
southeastastra Fri 28-Mar-14 20:01:31

how does this work? if you get offered said job would they then get references etc, and what happens if the company you work for find out you went for interview, would it go against you if you decided not to take job?

SirChenjin Fri 28-Mar-14 20:05:40

You can request that all references be taken up in the event of your being offered the job. If you changed your mind and decided not to take the job then it shouldn't count against you (if you have a decent employer, that is)

southeastastra Fri 28-Mar-14 20:22:05

thanks for answering

am worried but surely most people apply for other jobs whilst in employment? have a feeling it would not go down well!

SirChenjin Fri 28-Mar-14 20:45:44

Of course most people look for other jobs whilst in employment - an employer would mad/naive to think that anyone is going to stay in one job for the rest of their life! I would just say that you are happy for them to contact your employer for a reference if you are successful in the interview - I've certainly been in this position several times as an employer, and it didn't sway my decision one way or another smile

flowery Fri 28-Mar-14 21:36:19

In most cases references are taken up once the job is offered- the offer is made subject to satisfactory references. So once the offer is made, you'd be resigning anyway, so at the same time, can notify your employer that they can expect a request for a reference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now