Talk

Advanced search

Discrimination? Yay or nay?

(14 Posts)
CelticJuggler Thu 27-Mar-14 10:53:48

There's a bit of background to this, which I can expand on if required!

Long story short - been with same company for 10 years, been "tapped" to take over from my boss (male) when he retires this year, but owner is refusing to pay me the same hourly rate for the same job - there will be about £1.50 per hour difference in the rates. Owner is saying it's about experience and that I'm "unproven", but I've been doing the job in tandem with my boss for the last year.

I'm job hunting now anyway, but it's just nagging at me...

JeanSeberg Thu 27-Mar-14 10:58:50

It's difficult to say; I have staff with the same job title and similar job descriptions but there's enough of a difference between their skills and experience for them to not be paid the same.

Doing the job in tandem is not the same as being solely responsible.

What's your gut feeling though? You know these people...

In your position I would take the job with a written agreement that the salary would be increased to the same level as current guy after a probation period that you both agree on. Get a formal job description and agreed SMART targets.

flowery Thu 27-Mar-14 11:12:01

How long has your boss been in that role? If it's only been a year or two and he had the same level of experience and skills as you when he started, then I think it's a reasonable complaint. If he's been the boss for years and therefore has bags of experience and this will be a step up for you taking on that responsibility, it sounds perfectly reasonable to say you are unproven in the role and start you on a slightly lower salary.

CelticJuggler Thu 27-Mar-14 11:38:29

Yeah, he's been there since the dawn of time; but the feeling I get (which is not really "fact") is that the reason isn't my experience but my sex.

I know my boss is underpaid as it is, so I didn't see my salary as being the issue when this all started - so I've been effectively broadsided on this.

Ah well, it's all water under the bridge as I'm hoping to jump ship in a couple of months; I've sorted childcare as from mid-August so I need to brush up the CV and start hunting!

JeanSeberg Thu 27-Mar-14 11:41:46

Before you decide to leave, I wouldn't dismiss this job out of hand - use it as an opportunity to practice your negotiating skills.

How is the company and new role in general?

CelticJuggler Thu 27-Mar-14 12:00:42

Owner has been extremely clear that there is no negotiation, he has past form for money "saving" by cutting staff and not increasing wages.

I could do the job standing on my head, and I'm happy working with other staff, but I think this situation would set the tone for the rest of my time with the company.

I'll be honest, I do feel like there is/would be no respect between us due to the way he's gone about it; he was fine with the proposed salary until an external event cost him (personally) money - not the company, him - so I think he's raining the pain down, which has reduced my opinion of him.

My original plan was to do the job for a few months then leave, so it's really only pushed up the timetable by a year.

JeanSeberg Thu 27-Mar-14 12:14:00

Sounds like you'll be well shut of the place.

CelticJuggler Thu 27-Mar-14 12:20:20

Yeah. Part of me is very sad as I've been there so long and I really wanted to help it develop, but even if he grovelled, I don't see me staying.

I've worked out that I can leave for less money than I'm on now - we'd lose disposable income (so no meals out, packed lunches not bought etc) but we'd pay the bills.

uwtsdstudent Thu 27-Mar-14 12:41:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

uwtsdstudent Thu 27-Mar-14 12:42:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SJisontheway Thu 27-Mar-14 13:03:44

It really doesn't sound like discrimination to me. Anywhere I have worked, salary is not based on job title alone, but rather on experience and pay reviews, with a broad range of salaries for each position.
On the plus side, if your boss is underpaid, then you should be able to find better paid work elsewhere. Staying on could be a very good career move in terms of experience and increasing your job prospects. I would think carefully about leaving for a lower paid job. Sounds like cutting off your nose...

DumbleDee Thu 27-Mar-14 13:11:55

Not necessarily discrimination sounds more like he can argue financial/economical pressures. Very grey area tbh.

CelticJuggler Thu 27-Mar-14 13:43:30

Yes, I reluctantly have to agree that he has a valid reason, even if I honestly don't think that's the real reason IYSWIM.

It may well be cutting my nose off, but actually since yesterday I just feel lighter, less stressed, my IBS symptoms are lessening and I slept right through last night.

Think it's the right decision!

DumbleDee Thu 27-Mar-14 16:24:48

If it makes you feel any better I moved jobs last year and my replacement was paid more than a third MORE than me. And yes he's a man. No more or different experience than me. Pissed me off greatly during the 3 months notice I had to work x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now