Talk

Advanced search

Full time after working part time for 10 years? Decision to make HELP.

(10 Posts)
Supermum222 Wed 26-Mar-14 06:06:10

Hi,

Tough decisions to make.
I have 2 children (both school age now) and left a job a few years back to be closer to home. I have never liked it where I am now and the job is moving later this year so I will be actually further away than where I was in my old place.
Anyway, a job came up a while back at my old place and they haven't had many applicants and they have already told me I stand a very good chance and they would like to see me back (I worked there 13 years and did regret going). Only thing is...it is full time. I have been part time for the last 10 years. DH thinks I should do it as we would have a lot more money (we don't need it, we manage, ok but it would be nice to have extra) and it is a job created in an up and coming area in my profession so I would be well set up until retirement.
We have no grandparent help so I worry about my children being with the childminder a lot (who hardly ever takes them anywhere). Plus, my eldest will start secondary next year and it is a bus ride away. DH works shifts (as I would as its NHS) but his boss has said they can work around me so that would help. Also, DH gets rest days a lot during the week so I know we could probably work out most days between us. Once both kids are at secondary I would probably get home at the same time most days as I would finish at 4 (they have to get a bus home and kids in the same street don't get home until 4.30). I would probably get home 430-445pm.

Please encourage me that working FT isn't all that bad. I do 3 days at the moment plus weekends on top every 3 weeks. I also do oncall at the moment (no oncall with new job) and this will be horrendous once work moves.
DH says I will end up part time at my current workplace (that I dislike big time) and end up travelling more by the end of the year (esp with oncall work).
I would LOVE to return to my old workplace but my heart strings are still pulling even though my kids are 6 and 10 now. I haven't confirmed interview attendance yet but I know there is only one other candidate who has accepted interview.

2fedup Wed 26-Mar-14 07:18:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HappyAsASandboy Wed 26-Mar-14 08:07:54

I work full time with a horrendous commute and have two under 5. I wouldn't advise doing what I'm doing!

However, given everything you say about your job satisfaction, pay prospects, upcoming relocation, on call work etc, and given the ages of your children, I would apply for the FT job with your old employers. It really does sound like the better option, particularly once the credentials job moves. The fact that your DH's employer is likely to be flexible is a boon too, and will help you feel more relaxed about emergencies even if you don't new to use the flexibility often.

Good luck!

Twattergy Wed 26-Mar-14 08:14:40

I think you'll be fine! Could you say you'll only apply if it can be 4 days a week? If they want you they might be flexible?

schoolchoicesdrivingmecrazy Wed 26-Mar-14 08:39:31

Go for interview. Make them want you. Then tell them you want part time. If they say "it's a five day a week job" say "how about 10 weeks holidays then". Or "let me do it at 4 days a week/no on call for 6 months and then we review how it is working". Think creatively. But you are in a strong position. You are a low risk hire - they know you, they rate you, they like you. If they want to get you, they need to compromise. You haven't worked full time for 10 years, you don't want to work full time. So that's what they will have to swallow to get you. Simple! Make THEM do the compromising.
Best of luck.

SwimmingMom Wed 26-Mar-14 08:43:22

Your current job part time sounds like its going to be harder than your old job full time. Take it!

Supermum222 Wed 26-Mar-14 11:43:08

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I am going to go for it and see what happens. I know they have another role coming up in the next 3-6 months so I may be able to drop in for that if I fail this time (hopefully not though).
My commute will actually be easier and only once a day compared to my current job when we move (numerous trips a day and night if oncall). DH is not keen on having to replace the car every year or so!
I like what SwimmingMom has said as it hits the nail on the head...my part time job will be harder that the full time job. Probably!

Supermum222 Wed 26-Mar-14 11:44:31

I was thinking of asking for 2 weeks extra unpaid leave (I already get extra in the NHS with having long service, over 10 years) during school hols. I will wait though and see if I am offered it first :-)

Bonsoir Wed 26-Mar-14 11:49:26

Maybe you could get an au pair rather than relying on a CM? That way your DC could spend more time at home and you could be upfront with the au pair that her working hours would need to be flexible, right from the start.

happyyonisleepyyoni Wed 26-Mar-14 19:21:42

Go for it. A full time job you love is so much better than a part time job you hate. Trust me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now