Talk

Advanced search

im totally shit at my job

(7 Posts)
BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Tue 25-Mar-14 14:00:55

Next week I will have been at my current job for 3 months. I'm truely shit at it. I have done similar before, but not this exact role and I haven't picked it up as soon as my manager and colleagues would have liked.

Like most jobs there is a 3 month probation period. I come to work on time and work hard. I really have tried, but im just rubbish at my job.

Is it likely I'll be asked to leave? I need the money, don't know what I'll do if they let me go.

Sorry to vent on here I don't know who to tell as everybody outside of work expects be to be really good.

Aberchips Tue 25-Mar-14 14:23:43

Hi Biscuits

Didn't want to read & run. How do you know you are so bad at your job? Has your manager/ colleagues said anything specifically?

what job do you do?

TantrumsAndBalloons Tue 25-Mar-14 14:25:00

Do you think you are bad at your job or is it an actual fact ie not meeting targets etc?

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Tue 25-Mar-14 15:00:34

I know I am because I can never answer the questions my manager asks be about my accounts. I'm forever getting told I've done this wrong, I need to do that. Etc.

I work in sales ledger accounting.

Aberchips Tue 25-Mar-14 15:05:26

Is it an attention to detail issue rather than your ability? This kind of work is quite complicated at times I'd imagine. Are you making mistakes that are to do with your ability to do certain calculations for example?

Can you perhaps sit down with your manager & identify specific areas you need to improve & ask for training/mentoring. I know as an employer I'd be pleased to see someone being proactive about things they were struggling with.

JuliaScurr Tue 25-Mar-14 15:14:19

presumably there's some kind of review at 3 mths? Ask for further training, alterations to make it more achievable - SMART goals etc
Don't assume this is all your responsibility, your line manager has allowed this to happen too

Twitterqueen Tue 25-Mar-14 15:26:12

Yes, agree with Julia. Take the initiative and ask for a preparation chat before your 3 month review. Be quite open and say you're concerned that you feel you don't feel you're meeting people's expectations and would appreciate some feedback on how and why this is.

In doing this, you are putting the onus on the company to help you. It might be that the company's expectations are too high, or that you are misreading the situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now