Talk

Advanced search

New employee may of committed fraud

(15 Posts)
ninamag Mon 24-Mar-14 22:23:50

We have taken on a new employee, I have had a google/ checked out her Facebook and it is quite possible that she has previously been charged with fraud. She has a very common first name and surname. How do I find out for sure?

caramelwaffle Mon 24-Mar-14 22:28:24

Being charged with a crime does not mean that a person has been found guilty of a crime (UK)

The charges may also have been dropped before prosecution.

tribpot Mon 24-Mar-14 22:30:09

Did you take up references?

What is your policy on criminal charges (vs convictions)? Is she required to disclose it? Do you think the case is pending or was dropped, i.e. how long ago was this?

ninamag Tue 25-Mar-14 06:37:56

We took up references which checked out fine. A woman with her name, same amount of children and set up was charged with benefit fraud twice in three years. I cannot find photos in the press so how do I find out more.

ninamag Tue 25-Mar-14 06:38:52

Sorry just to add no she didn't disclose it and the last conviction was only 2 years ago.

Funnyfoot Tue 25-Mar-14 06:45:59

Only way you will know for sure is to do a DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) was the old CRB. You go on line to get the forms and she fills it out. You send it off with the necessary documents such as passport, utility bills etc.. This will tell you if she has had any convictions or cautions. This is the only way you will no for sure.

tribpot Tue 25-Mar-14 06:50:53

You mention charge in one post but conviction in another. Was the person in the press definitely convicted?

Is it relevant to the job, whether or not she has any convictions? I'm not sure how you're going to do a CRB check after employing her.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 25-Mar-14 06:56:05

If she didn't need a clear DBS for the post, I'm not sure it can be relevant. There are laws to protect exoffenders from discrimination.

Is this relevant to the job or are you just judging her?

Funnyfoot Tue 25-Mar-14 06:56:40

You can do a DBS any time during employment. I would assume that the application form had the section for criminal convictions OP? If she declared none and signed it then the OP discovers via DBS that the employee has a conviction then the OP can sack her for lying and not declaring it.

JeanSeberg Tue 25-Mar-14 06:59:08

What were you hoping to find when you checked her out on FB and google? I'd be very careful here, given she has presumably already signed an employment contract.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 25-Mar-14 08:20:54

I don't think you can "do a DBS on someone". That's not how it works now. The individual owns their DBS I think.

LIZS Tue 25-Mar-14 08:23:59

when is the first review due ? Can you have the application form there and ask her to confirm the info is correct ? You cannot do a DBS check without the person's knowledge and why are you doing google /FB checks now , do you have other reason to believe her untrustworthy ?

insancerre Tue 25-Mar-14 08:43:59

I presume you have asked her if she has any criminal convictions on the application form
if you did and you fond put that she has then surely that would be grounds for dismissal
how you find out whether she is lying or not I don't know
you can't do a drb on someone without their consent

Unexpected Tue 25-Mar-14 13:39:48

What prompted you to check her FB and Google her after she had started work for you? I'n not sure how I personally feel about using those methods on prospective employees but I know lots of people do check social media etc nowadays - but they do it before offering the job! All you have done at this stage is create doubt in your mind which is very difficult to act upon - did something specific happen to make you check?

Aberchips Tue 25-Mar-14 15:02:09

Short of asking her to declare any convictions on an application form or getting her to complete a DBS I don't think you can. That is part of the relationship between an employer & employee that both sides are open & honest.

As others have mentioned, is this relevant to her post? Why would you feel the need to check up on her?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now