Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Work dilemma

(9 Posts)
Lagoonablue Mon 24-Mar-14 06:45:32

Will try and keep this short but need advice!

Worked over 15 yrs in a public sector service, in different roles but most recently as a middle manager of a small team. Was seconded here on a project. Loved this role. New boss appointed, wanted to save money so amalgamated my role with a colleagues and told to apply for own job against each other, take redundancy or take a step down to a main grade role. At time was working part time as had a preschooler. After much agonising took the lesser role, meant kept my part time hours but felt a bit humiliated tbh and hated new boss.

Then a job came up at another public sector org very near my home. Job sounded ideal, very similar to my previous job, less pay but a tiny commute which off set the fact it was full time. After much agonising applied and got this job. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out for me. There was a reorganisation as soon as I got there and am not doing the job I applied for. The job is pretty unchallenging tbh and am bored. I see no future here as they are constantly reorganising and think my job will go eventually.

So.......my original employers, despite going through a lot of change and reorganisation themselves are now advertising for middle managers. My question is......should I apply? Have only been in current job for 6 months but given that am not doing job I applied for, I have a ready made excuse for not sticking with it.

If I did get back with them, it would be a big jump in terms of catching up with the role again as out of touch but honestly I need the challenge! Though I know will be hard work.

Shall I just try? Apply and wait and se what happens? Or am I being really flaky? My current employers would not be pleased am sure but feel a bit cheated by them anyway.

Help! Sorry this is long just need someone else's perspective!

Lagoonablue Mon 24-Mar-14 06:46:41

Sorry been here 9 months not 6, not that it makes much difference I guess!

Trooperslane Mon 24-Mar-14 06:46:42

Go for it. smile

BikeRunSki Mon 24-Mar-14 06:51:26

Do it
I could have written your first big paragraph!

Lagoonablue Mon 24-Mar-14 06:56:27

Ooh thanks for the fast replies. I might not even get it but glad to see people don't think I am nuts,

happyAsASandboy Mon 24-Mar-14 07:21:16

Go for it. I am public sector too, at middle manager level, an if do it in a heartbeat.

You have the perfect set up really. You can honestly tell your new manager you're applying because your current role is not what you applied for (which might make then keen to adjust your role to keep you), you have a recent working knowledge of the old job and so have an edge over other applicants, and you might get the promotion smile

The only downside I can see is that you might get offered the new role but FT only. Then you might have to turn it down.

I think the possible positives outweigh the possible negatives and you should GO FOR IT grin

Lagoonablue Mon 24-Mar-14 08:06:24

Thanks all. It is so helpful just to run it past others. DH is no use! Just says do what feels right!

You are right, nothing to lose as if I don't get won't wonder 'what if' and at least still in a job albeit a boring one!

The full time thing is not such an issue now as DS now at school so have adjusted to full time hours, though there may be room for manoeuvre if I was sucessful.

Now have to get on with the application!

cat88 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:44:09

Go for it. You are not happy in the job you are in now. There are always lots of changes and reorganisations and at least you know the culture of the original employers and will have key contacts as well.

Lagoonablue Tue 25-Mar-14 06:23:38

Thanks. I am going for it! Nothing ventured and all that.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now