Talk

Advanced search

Change to part time hours - help me interpret my contract

(11 Posts)
MaryShelley Sun 23-Mar-14 21:45:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mymiraclebubba Sun 23-Mar-14 22:27:14

whilst not an expert by any means, my contract says similar about working more/less hours based on "needs of the business" - i would guess that they only have to consult with you and agree to either drop the hours or you leave based on my experience within my own job. hopefully someone more qualified will be along to advise but ime as long as they give you sufficient notice (usually 4 weeks in private sector and half a term in teaching) then they can do it without your agreement

flowery Mon 24-Mar-14 06:31:48

If your contract says it would be by agreement with you that means you could refuse to agree, yes.

It's not completely impossible for them to reduce your hours without that agreement but it's difficult, and they'd need a good business reason for doing it and be prepared to jump through some hoops.

Specifically stating that variations will be with your agreement is good protection for you. What makes you think they want to reduce your hours?

MaryShelley Mon 24-Mar-14 12:11:48

MaryShelley Mon 24-Mar-14 12:13:10

mymiraclebubba Mon 24-Mar-14 12:14:36

Talk to them if you have concerns! You may find they intend to take lessons off everyone to free up personal development time and your hours may be safe

MaryShelley Mon 24-Mar-14 12:17:01

mymiraclebubba Mon 24-Mar-14 12:22:29

Suggest you take your contract into your local law centre of CAB office as they should be able to clarify any legal loop holes there might be in it, but if it is worded the exact way you post then short of giving you half a terms notice I fail to see how they can so it.

Alternatively are you a member of a teaching union? Most include legal advice in their membership so might be worth a call to them and see what advice they can give you

42notTrendy Mon 24-Mar-14 12:27:24

I'm sorry I can't offer help, but just wanted to say I feel for you and totally agree, I'm a part-time teacher and yes, I always seem to be the one 'fitting in' around everyone else. Good luck, and yes, get some advice from your union.

MaryShelley Mon 24-Mar-14 21:10:04

Noggie Mon 24-Mar-14 21:15:47

I am interested to find out how you get on- I am a part time teacher and my hours have varied from 2.5 days to 4 days per week over the last 8 years! My preferred option being 3 days per week but it's gone up and down depending on hours available/needed. Makes me feel a bit vulnerable financially hmm x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now