Talk

Advanced search

'Just' a personality issue or something I can try to change

(6 Posts)
MichaelFinnigan Sat 22-Mar-14 09:05:40

This'll be long and garbled. Not sure what anyone could say to help but hopefully I can get things clear in my mind

I've been in my job for seven years, with two year long ml periods.

My 'department' is just me and my manager within a fairly large organisation

I've never much 'liked' my manager although I've always hidden this well and acted professionally and in the best interests of the company

I often don't agree with her approach, she often misinterprets situations and causes issues where there need not be one.

Over the last year we've had a couple of issues between us which have had to be bought into the open. This and the handling of them have highlighted my unhappiness with the situation

I think my problems are

I'm quite isolated, I have no where to take anything other than directly to her. No line to refer things up if I have a problem I cannot resolve directly with her

I'm frustrated with my lack of progress. The tendency is to use me as administrative support, to offload the more mundane or tricky tasks onto me. I've just completed a post graduate diploma, I've undertaken lots of training and am not able to utilise any of these new skills. Partly because there's no obvious place for me to do so I admit

I don't know. I need to be able to pinpoint my areas of dissatisfaction for an upcoming pdr but I don't think I can raise problems without being constructive. And I can't think of any way to resolve the issues I have without sounding petulant or sulky

I need to get a new job really but it's a narrow industry, one that's not recruiting at present. Also if I leave I have to repay my course fees which I can't afford to do

I'm just totally unhappy and have no one to talk to and can't see anyway to improve the situation sad

JeanSeberg Sat 22-Mar-14 17:36:26

Can you come up with a succession plan and identify another opportunity in the company?

fascicle Sat 22-Mar-14 18:52:24

Was sponsorship for your course agreed by an individual within the company - if so, could you talk to them about utilising your training? Is there a way of persuading your boss that it might help her to give you more challenging work?

MacademiaNut Sat 22-Mar-14 18:58:25

It may help you to try to get to know other senior people in your business. You could just try to catch them informally in the lift or getting a drink etc and speak to them eventually about the business and any ideas you have. Maybe ask for a mentor in another department? You will need to be proactive in finding an escape route from your current boss. I do sympathise I've had personality clashes with bosses and it does make life unpleasant. Have you any other buddies at work you could spread your wings with? Maybe create a new opportunity somewhere?

MacademiaNut Sat 22-Mar-14 19:00:28

Any social committees or clubs??? Might help to get to know others...

MichaelFinnigan Sun 23-Mar-14 08:50:09

Thanks for your replies. Sorry was out all day yesterday

It would be good for me to have a mentor or 'friend' somewhere else in the company

I'm not sure if it is normal / typical that pretty much everything is deflected bank onto me 'what would you suggest?' 'What solution would you suggest?' what would you like to happen?'. I understand that if I can't offer a solution or be constructive then how can she know what I want?

But am I unreasonable to expect a level of input from her? Is that what a manager should do or do I need to have the answers myself if I'm going to voice concerns or worries?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now