Talk

Advanced search

Statutory maternity pay - bonus during qualifying weeks

(4 Posts)
allduffedup Fri 21-Mar-14 23:20:32

I'll be getting rather a large bonus during my qualifying weeks for statutory maternity pay, which should bring the 6 weeks pay at 90% up quite a bit.

However, my employer also pay enhanced maternity pay (90% for ~4months, and so on). I assume this 90% will be based on my regular salary, and so will be lower than the first 6 weeks. I'm wondering whether they will therefore just pay me this for the whole of the first 4 months, since overall it is more than stat pay anyway?

So should I expect:
-Stat pay for 6 weeks at 90% (based on qualifying weeks) and then
-Enhanced pay at 90% of normal salary for 2.5 months

Or:
-Enhanced pay 90% of normal salary for 4 months?

OohOod Sat 22-Mar-14 06:17:02

After your qualifying weeks ask HR for a pay break down. Then you know. I assume you're already pregnant anyway so it's not affecting your decision just your budgeting.

flowery Sat 22-Mar-14 07:33:43

They can't pay you less than SMP, and whether they can reduce the enhanced amount in later months to compensate for having to pay more at the beginning will depend on the wording in their policy.

trilbydoll Sun 23-Mar-14 10:24:52

The SMP is still reclaimable even though you have had a bonus which distorts it. So there is no additional cost to the company. I would anticipate:

6 weeks @ 90% of salary & bonus
10 weeks @ 90% normal salary

Payroll will be able to print a report showing your maternity pay entitlement, agree with Oohood, ask for this once the qualifying period is over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now